Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:37:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Home School

Started by joevick, Jun 04, 2005, 07:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joevick

Maybe someone can help with this question. My X has gone off the deep end with regards to my children. She has moved them from school to school over the past 2 years, and allowed them to miss alot of school by being "sick". They are 15 and 10, so if they figure out mom dont care, then of course, they take the ball and run. Anyway, it turns out that my kids, both of them would have failed this year, so, before school officially ended, with 2 weeks left, she removed them from school to home school them. My kids have told me that they dont really home school, they barely do their required work. So, my question, my divorce papers say that I am obligated to pay support as long as the kids are enrolled in a primary or secondary education institution. I was told, that home school does not count. So, is that basis to have my support stopped? SHe does nothing but stay at home all day long, and her current husband barely works. So i know that my child support is a big part of their income. Any help would be apprecitated.

THanks,
Joe

KAT

Joe, what state are you in? Frankly I don't see a judge terminating your child support order while the kids are this young (remember, it's a best interest thing). The judge could do other things however such as abate the support until biomom has enrolled them in regular schools. In most states she has to register that she is home schooling & file a plan. Have you checked to see if she has done this? Your probably better off going for a change in custody.
KAT

joevick

Thanks for your input. I live in Texas. I am wanting a change in custody. Just dont have the money for the lawyer right now. I am not sure if she is enrolled in a "program", I have not been able to check that out as of yet. I just get tired of knowing that I am supporting her and her husband with my child support and not my kids. :(

ocean

You can call their home school district office and ask them about homeschoolers. In my state, the parents have to give the district an outline of the program they intend to teach their child.  I would also get a copy of their last report card and attendance record from the district to use in court. Good luck!

rini

hello

call children and youth services immediately and have her investigated
or have someone else do it

she is not doing her job as a parent!!!!!!!!!!

do it anonomously  say your kids attend the same school and that you live close enough to see the kids home and out playing all the time when they should be in school

get a copy of the school records for yourself and document their absences by getting the dates.

also obtain their medical records so that you can document that if they are sick they should be taken to the doctors especially if their sick enough to stay home from school consistently.,
might sound harsh but .............

rini