Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 08:32:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does the step-mom's income count for child support in MN?

Started by moxie_mpls, Jun 08, 2005, 06:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moxie_mpls

I'm getting married to an awesome man in July and already these blood suckers (two bio-moms/2 children from separate mothers) are saying they are going to come after me and my money for child support. The one says that my income IS counted, but I cannot find any 100% sure info on this - does anyone know what the laws in MN are pertaining to this issue? Has anyone had to deal with this? Know of any good links, literature or contacts that can help me? I make a good living, and I support his kids as much as I possibly can, but sheesh, I have my own family to bring up!
Thanks for all your help!
Moxie

VaBeachStepmom

I'm not sure about MN, as I live in VA.  But it seems to me, since the children aren't yours, your income doesn't count.  Period.  

Funny, my husband and his ex just got into this argument last night.  She tried to claim that my income counts, cause I make the most out of all involved, and that she wanted support recalculated.  My husband told her to look it up, she obviously hadn't done her homework.  The spouse's income doesn't count.  Those that think it should are dumb.  =)  I think you're fine.

jilly

I think it varies from State to State.  I suggest you Google child support in MN and see what you come up with.

someonewhocares

This is what I found when I googled it. This came from the following link:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/chldsupp.pdf  

If a parent has remarried, the new spouse's income cannot be considered in calculating the needs or resources of the parent. Minn. Stat. §§ 518.551, subd. 5, para. (b)(1); 518.64, subd. 2, para. (c)(1).

Maybe this will help,

someonewhocares

lucky

Spouse's incomes are not included and when the paperwork gets filled out, I make sure that my info is not on the forms and/or included in the documentation whenever possible.

Here's a brochure that MN DHS puts out, the table showing the guidelines is on page 14.  

http://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Legacy/DHS-3393-ENG

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

Sunshine1

My DH just had to fill out a response to CS.  It specifically asks the Obligor if anyone helps pay these monthly expenses.  Then there is a blank for your net monthly income.  We are the Obligee

A friend of ours just had his wifes income counted and here is what they are protected under..it is called "household income" and they deemed that his raise in CS was justified due to the wife's income.  It was not detrimental for him because of his "household income".  Isn't that a load of crap?

My advice is you pay some bills from your checkbook and he pays the others from his checkbook and then when they ask who helps you pay these monthly expenses he can truthfully mark the box NOBODY.

someonewhocares

Sunshine 1

What state are you in? I live in Oklahoma and they do not count it here.

flewwellin

I too am a step-mom and thankfully where i am what I make doesn't count towards his kids child support.  I don't think it does anywhere.  YOu need to get on the phone and call a couple of lawyers in your area about this.  they can tell you the law but can't give you legal advice. this means you don't have to pay the consultation fee.  I just don't think that anywhere they can make YOU pay for HIS children.  That is ridiculous!!!

An injustice!!!

walknotrun

That is absolutely ridiculous!

Sunshine1

Here is what happened.  CP wants a raise in CS.  Have to fill out the forms.  Forms have a spot that asks you who helps you pay these monthly expenses (ie..food, garbage, car payments, insurance..etc..)

Then after that is says what is the monthly income for your spouse or whoever helps you pay these expenses.

Here's where they don't "technically" use the spouses income.  The judge asked our friends to bring in their tax information for the hearing INCLUDING the SM's.  Now they know how much TOTAL income that you have based on your tax returns, not to mention now the CP knows about all the income in your house including what your spouse makes.  (that part really irritates me..its none of her business, but in all fairness she is suppose to report hers and wouldn't you know her papers are usually incomplete!)

So they calculate it out and she needs more for whatever reason she needs more and they deemed it "non detrimental" to the NCP because of his "household income" because the SM makes enough to support his current family.

I live in MN.  Look at the forms...google "MN Court Forms" click on "Child support EX PRO" and ther eyou will find exactly what I am talking about.

Nice isn't it.  Not only did you dream of being a SM when you grew up but then you get the added responsibilty of paying you DH's child support because you have a career and make more than him and you get to send a cut of "your" money to his big fat ugly lazy ex-wife who smokes 3 packs a day get manicures and her hair done and stays at home all day on her big lazy butt, when you wish you could just go to the grocery store "alone".  LOL Dream come true isn't it ladies??  LOL  I crack myself up!!!