Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

child support question from a father

Started by Skylerhead1, Jun 05, 2005, 09:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skylerhead1

I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to out there on the websites.  I have been divorced for four years now and have always made my $440.00 a month child support payment on time.  I have always wondered though if I am obligated to make a child support payment to my ex-spouse in Florida during the months of June and July when my child is with me in Michigan for the entire two months.  If I am obligated, it seems that there should at least be some sort of a pro-rate for those two months as I am taking care of my child exclusively without any financial assistance coming from my ex.  I understand that the ex-spouse still has to make a mortgage payment, pay bills and other things associated with maintaining a roof over the child's head for when they return to Florida, but is there at least any middle ground?  I would appreciate anyone's input on this matter

wendl

Usually that is taken into consideration in the court order, my dh pays cs even when the kids are with him for a month in the summer.

It sucks, but unless it states otherwise in your court order that is the amount you pay monthly regardless. Yep so the BM gets a month without kids and a bunch of $$ to piss away.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

prince13

In our case, DH gets an abatement for the summer months that the children are here. That is per SD law, though, which is where the children reside during the school year. He had to actually request this to get, though. The reduction was figured out and the pro rated over the year so that is payments stay the same every month. It wasn't a lot, but at least it was something.

I suspect each and every state is different.