Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 08:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Experience with NCP on disability

Started by Tennessee Dad, Jul 17, 2005, 01:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Dad

Last September, I was awarded custody of my 7yo daughter.  BM had not worked in several years, and the Judge awarded no child support.  Since then, we have "heard through the grapevine" that BM is receiving disability benefits.  She has never told me this, but then again she probably wouldn't admit it to me.  

My question is should I be able to file for benefits for our daughter based on BM receiving disabiliiity benefits?  I have been told sometimes a portion of benefits can be paid to the custodial parent, in lieu of child support.  If so I would like to have it, for daughter's sake; but I know BM will go ballistic if I apply for daughter, and they reduce BM's benefits.  

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with a similar situation.  

patton

I have a cousin who draws money from the social security system because NCP is some kind of disability for bipolar disorder.  I'm not exactly sure what the NCP gets in benefits, but the NCP did LIE about custody and was getting the child's benefits along with her own benefits.

Now money is direct deposted in CP's account for the child.  They had to fight for this about 2 months.  Also NCP had to PAY back all the money she drew for the child when she did not have custody.

Be sure you get an appointment with social security so you can have a face to face meeting.  Take your current court order showing you have custody, birth certificate, social security card, and anything else of importance.  There are a lot of forms to fill out.

sunflower1

I am married to a DH who receives SSD. BM filed for childs benefit shortly after DH was approved. We were never notifed bySSA that she had done this or was approved, had to find this out ourselves.

SO you should be able to take your custody papers to SSA and file for childs benefit based on BM`s disability. The childs benefit is seperate from BM`s and does not come out of her benefit. She will continue to get her full benefit and your child will receive theirs. Also, they usually will get a lupm sum award from the actual date of disability, up to 6 months.

Good luck.