Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 08:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

We're getting along great, how do we keep the state out of it? Connecticut

Started by Solkanar, Oct 11, 2005, 05:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solkanar

I'm in a fairly unusual situation it sounds like after reading some posts. I am expecting a baby girl any day now, due date is 10-19-05. I am not married and do not live with the mother but we have a very good relationship. I do hope to end up with her but don't want to jump into anything only because of the baby. My problem is this, she works at a bar and was forced to take materinity leave from her job, she is getting only $75 a week from unemployment since most of her tips were off the books like in any waitress\bartender type job. She is not going back there and will look for other work to start  6 weeks after delivery. She signed up for all the state aid she could find in CT, cash assistance, WIC, and health care that I know of. I've been helping in small amounts for the moment but I am not supporting her.

When the baby is born, she was worried she would have to go back to work within 2 weeks, so I offered to pay her rent for the month of november. I also am pretty good with cars and have 2 myself. I told her I'd sell her car (she owes $5500 on a car worth about $6500, payments are about $250 a month) and she could borrow mine, and I would take whats left and put it towards buying her a new car. I'd pay the rest so she would have no car payment. (I can afford and am expecting to spend about $4000 on a car for her) I will be shopping with her regularly for food and baby items and have heard I should give her all this money with checks and let her buy the items at the store with the money after she cashes them. (the car I was going to write her a check for the amount, have her cash it and give it back to me so I have a record just in case we don't get along sometime down the road)

My problem is this, if I sign the birth certificate, I'm hearing that the state will come after me and force me to pay back money to the cash assistance program. She has been on it for 8 weeks or so and plans on being on it for another 6 weeks after she's born. (The mother is planning on getting a job after 6 weeks and she is not lazy, I believe she will) I have gotten conflicting information from friends and co-workers and don't know what to believe.

Where can I find out what the state will try to do or try to recover. Paying her a set amount per week will not help her enough in the beginning, I am in a position to help her with a months rent, and a car, but I'm afraid to be screwed by the state.

I am seriously considering not signing the birth certificate and pretending she doesn't know who the father is as far as the state is concerned. I figure we can change her legal last name later on. I really don't want to do that but my states child support programs are built around the concept that all fathers that aren't married or living with the mother are scumbag deadbeats.

Does anyone know what I'm responsible for before the baby is born. Does anyone know how much if any of the hospital bills I'll be responsible for. My insurance doesn't cover it unless we're married or the child will live with me (lying about the childs residence is also an option)
Does anyone know how to keep the state out of it while still recieving some aid that she needs.

It isn't my fault that she's out of work, her job screwed her and she hopes to go after them for it, but it's sounding like the state will come after me.

Should I pretend not to be the father until she's on her feet supporting herself and gets off the states programs? I'm very afraid of the state sucking me dry and not allowing me to support my child and her mother in the way we both see fit.

Please answer these questions assuming I have full cooperation from the mother.

Thank you for taking the time, this will be my first child, and I'm trying my best to be excited but I'm scared of everything, including this.

KAT

Sign or don't sign the state is going to come after you to pay back the money which will also include the birth expenses. So yup, you can pretty much count on them sucking you dry.  You are going to be thousands of dollars in arrears right from the start including compounded interest. This will also go on your credit report. The state will be awarded their money back to the date of filing so if you stall going to court it's just sitting there adding up. Don't give her any more money as it will be considered a *gift*. The state is involved now so it doesn't matter how much cooperation you have with her it's out of your hands. I can only guess that the birth expenses you'll be responsible for will be in the area of 3-4k for a normal birth. That's IF your state doesn't make you contribute to HER care as well.
Visit your states child support website. There should be a calculator available to show approximately what your responsiblity will be. Don't forget to request you be awarded the tax deduction yearly (this can add up!).
INSIST ON DNA TESTING I don't care how much you are convinced you are the father!!! Thirty percent come back NOT THE DADDY. You don't want to pay for years then find out otherwise.
KAT

reagantrooper

One sure way to keep the state out of it is to "keep the state out of it" IE: dont take the welfare, dont "pretend" to not be the dady, take care of yours.

Its great that you and Mom are all good for now I hope it stays that way.

However to protect you and your child rights you need to assume that it wont always be nicey nicey. Step up NOW claim your child and support her.

Document EVERYTHING. May not seem like it now, but chances are that you WILL end up in court fighting the Mom over Parenting time and of course MONEY.

GOOD LUCK!!

jilly

"I am not married and do not live with the mother but we have a very good relationship. I do hope to end up with her but don't want to jump into anything only because of the baby."

Bless your heart...the noose is already around your neck and you don't even know it.  You're all in now whether you want to me or not honey.  Once you have a child with somebody you're pretty much stuck with them.

sherrie ohio

My husband had to pay all the hospital bill,DNA testing cost and pay back support from the day the state filled for it all in court.They said all the money he had given her before was "gifts".As for her telling she doesnt know who the father is,they will make her start nameing off names of possible fathers till they come up with daddy.And every man she names off will have to be tested.(Hubby was one of meny)And i dont mean to be a kill joy,but you realy should get a parenting plan put down on paper and filed in court.Because most of the time these situations go down hill fast.Hubby had a child with and ex-girlfriend and she ran the show without a parenting plan/visitation shedule.H*** she still running the show.And when you put a plan on paper think what youll like to have in a few years too.And maybe you should think a little harder about what her friends are saying.If their people she hangs with alot there may be something to it.Just keep that in mind.     Good luck!!  P.S they will consider the car a gift!!!!!

Solkanar

This is all so dismal sounding, where is the justice?....... it's like they want my only two choices to be killing myself or hiding out in some other country. Whose bright idea was it for any money or a car that I give her to be a gift, even when we both agree that it's child support, even if I write her a check, have her cash it and give me the money back so I have a record? I'd love to meet the people that chose to ruin lives this way, the guys that want to try to do the right thing, but are forced not to. After reading these replies, I'm even thinking about quitting my job and trying to get something for less money under the table. Why is it like this? Very frustrating.

wambugha

Take heart

I am in a similar predicament.

I am on welfare. i am a mother of three children. My husband and i have separated. I don't want child support. I don't want 'his' money.

Yeah! believe it or not. So far no one seems to want to believe it!

My rational is simple. I am a feminist. i like men but i don't view them as meal tickets. my kids are not 'mistakes'. i take pirde in taking responsibility for then as an adult!

Women are adults! No man babysits me or 'pays' my bills.

My husband and i were fighting but now we are getting along. I hate lawyers the legal system. i think they are full of crap and enforce rulings that keep women subjugated 'that's what i think child support payments do to women's psyche in the long run' and provide no incentives for men to take responsibility for their children.

And i think that's effed-up! There is no justice in the legal system, yet that's what it should be about.

The welfare people want to force me to ask for 'child support' and compel my ex-partner to pay.

As far as i'm concerned the most important contributions men make to their kids are not financial. women too. the people i've met up with in court and at welfare don't see it this way.

it's so frustrating and unbelievable. i felt such empathy with the guywho wrote the email i'm replying too.

well, i believe in the power of one. i'm going to fight all these naysayers.

the first thing is my ex and i are mediating this situation ourselves. this has been nothing short of miraculous but our kids are worth it. and so are we.

i am going to fight tooth and nail to see all his cash stays in his pocket. this is not misguided to my part, he has always taken pride in providing financially for his kids.

i will continue in getting financially independant in my own right.

No cynical law or lawyer or welfare worker is going to determine the way I choose to live!

just because i on welfare doesn't mean i don't have the same right to be treated with the same amount of dignity as everybody else. the 'system' may not know it, BUT I do! and amen to that...

fight the good fight...all the good we have in the world is because somenone somewhere cHOOSE  to fight!

have a good, no a great one, and don't give up hope!!!
Give 'em hell instead!! hehehe
smile

wambugha

hi

my first reply was to your second message.

as far as your first one goes... go for joint custody...this is what i'm doing...

we are going to family court next week.

the best case scenario...

we ask for joint custody. the kids will stay in the same place they have been (my apartment) but Dad will have extremely easy access to them.

they are 5, 3 and 19 months.

he has a car i don't.

so he'll pick them up and drop them off each day.

we can have dinner together with the kids and pt them to bed and then he leaves for his place and his life.

our kids are young, we don't have any help. we are rallying together.
 he will spends his money on the kids and i do with mine.

you and you baby's mother seem to have worked out your own similar solution that will work for you two.

i think that's fantastic, that's pro-active and responsible. That's great parenting.

we will present OUR parenting plan to the judge, get it seen by our lawyers and that will be that.

i feel empowered, 'cause will present our solution for our children on our problem as a joint unit. lawyers, judges and syatems--welfare included--only have weight when people arectheir own worst enemies.

you seem to be an incredible individual.

iam and this will all work out . i will not have it any other way!

wambugha

I read the other emails and they are dismal needed and this is what i think about the sentiments expressed in them

The mother should most definately APPLY FOR WELFARE AND STAY ON WELFARE FOR AS LONG AS SHE NEEDS AND/OR WANTS!

I am on welfare and I am very proud to be one welfare.

I have money--no matter how little!-- stability and help.

She deserves no less, the baby too.

Giving birth is no walk in the park, and she should have as few worries as possible. Neither is taking care of a newborn infant.

As far as paternity goes that's your personal business. You don't seem bothered about it i don't see why anybody else is.

It sounds like a case of 'someone crying more than the bereaved'. Ridiculous!

Whether the two of you will 'fight' in the future over 'stuff'.

This is something totally within your control and discretion. you strike me as a very focused, ambitious, responsible individual as does the mother of your child. i'm not afraid of that happening.

two parents fighting IS A CHOICE. we used to, we don't now. we chose to, we now CHOOSE not to. we will and do give our children the gift of peace and stability. it is not a favour, IT IS THEIR RIGHT. much more important than child support payments if you ask me!!!

Let the naysayers, naysay!! Do what you need to Sir! It'll all come out alright!