Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 01:50:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Court Date

Started by dee419, Apr 25, 2006, 09:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dee419

Hello,
In January, I finally turned in the paper work to obtain support for my son, who just turned 14. Papers were served upon his father in March and we took a paternity test in April. Now a court date is set and I do not know what to do now. Do I get a lawyer to represent me in court? I do not know if his father will have one, since we have not talked since I was several months pregnant. What should I expect in court? What kind of questions, will be asked of me?
Dee

ocean

He has not spoken or seen child in 14 years?? Depending on what state you are in they will ask you to bring paperwork (taxes, paystubs). Then they will calculate support. If you know about how much he makes, you can look up the child support caluculator on line and see what they should order. Has he been paying you anything before now? If you agree to a number than you both can go into mediation and say that you agree and they will usually accept the agreement. Good luck!

dee419

He has had no contact for 14 years. We are both in California. I appreciate your response. I realize I shouldn't have waited 14 years, but I just had the courage to file. Since I've received the letter to appear in court, I've been sick to my stomach! I've never received (or asked for) a penny before this. We were young when I became pregnant and after 3 years together, things just didn't work out. Days turned into weeks and we stopped talking and then the years went by. I never really thought about child support, because I always worked. My son will be going into H.S. next year and it's not getting easier financially. I feel he shouldn't be deprived of the things he needs like clothes, school supplies and such. I know I'm trying to justify why I filed and I've been trying to stay calm, but after I opened up the letter, I've been sick! Maybe it's just the thought of having to see him again (if he shows up). I'm putting together a folder of my paperwork today. The court date is not until June. Again thank you for your response.
Dee