Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 02:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Can I ask for a lien to be put on my 401K for arrearages?

Started by 416021va, May 25, 2006, 06:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

416021va

I am a few thousand in child support arrearages.

I was wondering if I could call the Department of Revenue and have them put a lien on my 401k to satisfy arrears because at least paying into a 401k only to have a lien placed on it would help lower my tax liability this year. Additionally, it is my understanding that there is no pentalty placed on such a lien if the state takes my money.

Finally, my company contributes to the 401k. However, I will not be fully vested for 3 years. Could the Department of Revenue put a lien on that money as well or would I get in trouble and be forced to pay that money back since their contribution is not 3 years vested yet?

Thanks

leon clugston

finally a question that there is no history for, or at least not in the sense of what you are asking, history would be in case law, however in general there has been cases of 401 being leined against before, but a lein is not as payoff, and satifies nothing, that would be a garnishment or levy, a lein just locks something up forcing you to deal with the agency or person involved, for you to use it, it is a ticket in sense, that you cant proceed forward with, untill you cure all past debts with the person or persons that brought the lein upon you. Hope this answers.

416021va

leon clugston

I have never and will never recomend a lawyer unless you are dyeing to waste money and get screwed. For what we the citizens dont know has been screwing us for decades.