Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Care expenses when there is no child care....

Started by Beccabird, Feb 17, 2007, 01:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beccabird

Here's the scenario:

Visitation is 50/50.  Mom (ex wife)  is supposedly looking for a job.  She will need childcare on her time (we do not need childcare on our week due to our unique work schedule).  We have agreed to keep the kids for her every afternoon on her parenting time.

When filling out information on the child support calculator, it has a spot for "child care expenses".  It appears that if Mom incurs expenses for child care, Dad reimburses her for half.  But Mom will not be incurring any child care expenses, because Dad and SM are keeping the kids every afternoon for her.  *BUT* Dad and SM will be incurring expenses to do this:  gas money, snacks, dinner every night, etc.  Is Mom not responsible for some sort of reimbursement?

If not... why should Mom get reimbursed if SHE pays for childcare, but if Dad agrees to keep the kids for her, thus aleviating that expense for Mom, why doesn't Mom have to help Dad with the expenses HE incurs?  Or does she?  (I'm just assuming she doesn't because that's the way the cookie seems to crumble for Dads)

mistoffolees

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about it - unless you really need the money. You're possibly technically right, but who cares? Why buy trouble?

Just be grateful that you get all that extra time with the kid(s). It's just not worth quibbling about every penny.

Beccabird

MixedBag

Here's what I suggest -- may or may not work.

Add up the hours and see if Dad actually has more time with child as a result of the arrangement with Mom.

then does your state take "time" into consideration when doing the child support formulas.

Also, check your state's code to see if there is a reason to deviate from the current child support levels (like due to transportation costs due to distance, which isn't your reason, but you should get the idea).

Mom may have primary residential custody, but dad has more time.

Jade

>Here's the scenario:
>
>Visitation is 50/50.  Mom (ex wife)  is supposedly looking for
>a job.  She will need childcare on her time (we do not need
>childcare on our week due to our unique work schedule).  We
>have agreed to keep the kids for her every afternoon on her
>parenting time.
>
>When filling out information on the child support calculator,
>it has a spot for "child care expenses".  It appears that if
>Mom incurs expenses for child care, Dad reimburses her for
>half.  But Mom will not be incurring any child care expenses,
>because Dad and SM are keeping the kids every afternoon for
>her.  *BUT* Dad and SM will be incurring expenses to do this:
>gas money, snacks, dinner every night, etc.  Is Mom not
>responsible for some sort of reimbursement?
>
>If not... why should Mom get reimbursed if SHE pays for
>childcare, but if Dad agrees to keep the kids for her, thus
>aleviating that expense for Mom, why doesn't Mom have to help
>Dad with the expenses HE incurs?  Or does she?  (I'm just
>assuming she doesn't because that's the way the cookie seems
>to crumble for Dads)

Everything that you described is part of parenting.  Unless you are paying a different person (such as a daycare provider or afterschool program) to take care of your child, then there are no childcare costs to be considered when computing child support.  

Beccabird

I understand that, and it makes sense.  But we are doing this as a favor to Mom, and so the kids won't be in child care (or home alone after school, another threat that Mom has made if we don't help.)  I agree that this is just a part of parenting... so when does MOM have to step up and be a parent?  Why must DAD foot every single cost of parenting and Mom gets to ride free??!?

mistoffolees

So ask Mom to pay part of the extra groceries.

If she declines, is it worth going to court over the cost of a few snacks?

mistoffolees

I don't know about your state, but in my state, they calculate child support based on the number of overnights in each home. Watching the kids during the day doesn't affect it unless they sleep over.

leon

its kinda funny in a sadistical way, that the time with youre children doesn't count unless there there over night, which is when a child sleeps, doesn't usualy eat, doesn't use the bathroom, doesn't use the lights, doesn't usualy need to be ran to games or prctices.
Now dureing the day time all they above apply, for which you get no credit for,Hmmm, enteresting figures they have.

Jade

>I understand that, and it makes sense.  But we are doing this
>as a favor to Mom, and so the kids won't be in child care (or
>home alone after school, another threat that Mom has made if
>we don't help.)  I agree that this is just a part of
>parenting... so when does MOM have to step up and be a parent?
> Why must DAD foot every single cost of parenting and Mom gets
>to ride free??!?

If the father has the child over 50% of the time, the mom should be paying him child support.  In my state, they go by overnights.  Not during the day.  

Kitty C.

Because if you go with this course of action long enough and eventually have a valid reason to ask the court for more time or a switch in custody, you have a LEGITIMATE reason to ask for the 'status quo'.  Meaning you want the current schedule to remain the same, including ALL the time you have the kids while she's at work.  Whatever you do, don't play your hand to the BM, or she will yank those kids back on her time and actually take them to a childcare provider....and ask for an increase in your CS to help pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't ask the court for 'reimbursement' for the extra time you have the kids while she's working.  The court may look at it as regular parenting time and why shoudl you be paid in any way to have your own kids?  I know that it's an added financial burden, but tighten your belts as much as you can and make do as best you can.  If you really get into a bind, maybe there would be some way to delicately ask the BM for help with groceries, maybe.  But I wouldn't ask the court for it...they may not look on you very favorably about it.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Beccabird