Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 12:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taxes

Started by Renee, Mar 10, 2007, 10:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherry1

but her income was so "low" she qualified for medicaid to pay the copays.  It really is quite common.  And yes, that is how it worked and always worked.  DH's medical insurance lapsed and medicaid was on him like bees on honey.  When it was reinstated, he sent copies to medicaid.  Medicaid has always been aware of DH's primary insurance status.  DH was court ordered to pay via garnishment to the state for CS, they knew how much it was and that BM received it.  

BM worked the system for years by living with someone and collecting full benefits for herself and the kids.  It is what it is.

Sherry1

can claim the kids for EIC regardless of who claims them on their taxes.  

notnew

Yeah. I know. Still sucks.

I don't understand how people can live like that and live with theirselves. I wouldn't be able to.

Sherry1

going for CS that I had to make up the difference in the budget... his CS had been established on what "she" wanted not what was guideline in the beginning.  AFter I was with DH for about a year he filed for a downward mod.  She bitched complained and moaned about it, but she also knew she probably couldn't fight it, so CS finally went down to the point of where we could breathe.  She still worked the system for years after that.  

mistoffolees

You're right - I messed that one up. EIC doesn't depend on the deduction. My mistake.

Given that, I'd tell the ex that I want the tax deductions and will give her 25% of the savings in exchange.

If you were filing for the first time, it would not be hard to get the judge to rule in your favor - and give DH the deduction. In general, the courts will rule what is best for the kids and it's clearly better if one parent gets some benefit for the deductions rather than leaving the deductions with someone who can't use them.

I'm not sure that you're going to get the judge to change it now, though. Usually, there has to be some change in circumstances to justify a decision like you're asking. If there are other changes in circumstances, then ask for this and you might get it. If you can't demonstrate any significant change in circumstances, the judge may not even hear it.

Sherry1

was he "paid" BM for the deductions for about 4 years since they were meaninless for her.   I think DH paid her $400 the year she had two exemptions.  She gladly took the money and gave DH the deduction, it worked out well for us!

gemini3

It happens all the time my friend.  There are people out there who live like parasites - trust me, my ex does the same thing.  Lives with her BF, everything is in his name - brand new vehicle with all the bells and whistles (and sunroof, dvd players, etc.), cell phone, residence in a gated community - the whole nine.  

Meanwhile her sole income is the CS I pay, and the kids have medical through me.  She's "supposed" to pay $250 a year in medical expenses, but she never does.  Since it's all under my name and SSN, if she doesn't pay it, I have no choice but to pay so I do.  She's getting (that I know of) food stamps and has kids signed up for free lunch at school.  According the the Federal Regulations on this, she is supposed to claim all the income in the household - but she obviously isn't or they would never qualify.

You would THINK that someone would put two and two together, and realize that there's NO WAY a woman and two children could live on the CS alone (it would cover rent and that's about it around here), and realize that there's other income coming from somewhere that she's not claiming.  But they don't.  They don't care - it's not their money, right?  

Anyone for welfare reform??

Sherry1

and during the summer the skids got free meals also.  

Renee

Taxes are definately not my thing but I always thought that after claiming three of the children it didn't make that big of a difference.  Also, she is pregnant again with her current husbands child but I don't know if that makes a difference or not?  I guess if they file seperately then maybe he will claim just the one?  But, if they file jointly then how does that work when he is technically claimng my husbands bio children?  I am sorry it all confuses me.  My husband regrets allowing her to do that in the first place but she used them as bargaining chips.  We have nine children together and out of the nine we only get to claim two.  I was nice enough to allow my ex to claim two even though I only recieve $366 a month in CS because he doesn't work that much.  We just get taken every year and since we have the kids more and pay for extra things on top of CS I thought maybe it would "even" things out if we got to claim the kids too.  While she wasn't working she went and got her tubal reversed and got pregnant and then went on medicaid.  Go figure!  Anyway, I think she gets that fraudulently.  She is also guilty of working the system...I agree with one of the other posters....how do they look in the mirror each day?

Also, thank you for your replies.