Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Welfare Fraud

Started by 1-daddy, Apr 09, 2007, 07:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-daddy

In Suffolk County NY, in July 2005 I was awarded temporary physical custody of my 2 children pending the outcome of a 2 1/2 year custody trial. In September 2005, I came to am agreement with BM to share 50/50 residential custody of both children; 1 week with me, 1 week with BM. In June 2006 a child support magistrate terminated my support payments after BM withdrew her claim to support during the hearing. BM appealed and in September 2006 her appeal was denied.

I am now being sued by Social Services for Welfare benefits BM has been receiving on behalf of our 2 children. BM is engaged and her fiance has a brand car and new motorcycle. They pay $2200 a month rent, have purchased new furniture, a new computer, a 42" plasma and 2 weeks a 2007 car, which they put under her father's name. BM quit her job and has voicemail messages that state she might have a business on the side. Her fiancee works off the books and also has a company website registered to him.

1) What can I expect in this type of hearing?

2) What are the chances I will have to pay out child support?

3) Any advise would be greatly appreciated

mistoffolees

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why this is your problem at all. You shouldn't be liable for your ex's actions.  If she lied on her welfare application, why should you be responsible?

Personally, I'd consult an attorney.

leon clugston

the Social Services will probably try to list you as a administrative determined NCP, and will use the past application as a factor, even though its void now.
The chances of you paying out the alleged debt(to the statre) is dependant on how far you are willing to go with this,,ie.. how high in the courts.
The question that needs to be answered is what type of hearing, "Administrative, or judicial"

The overall will probably be har far are you willing to go.