Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Texas Child Support Modification Hearing

Started by allennk, Jun 13, 2007, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allennk

Does anyone have experience with the Texas Child Support Modification system?  The CP has filed with the child support office for a hearing.  I know they want to see your pay, if you have other children, and your insurance. (16% child support)  This will lead to a definate increase in child support.  However, my question is do they take into consideration any other issues.  We get the child 49-52% of the time (depending on the year).  Also, the thing I see as the biggest issue is the child has played soccer for the last 6 years, but the CP has only attended 1 game and 3 practices over the course of the 6 years.  We have paid for all soccer related expenses, picked the child up from the CP's house for every soccer game or practice that fell during her time with the child.  We provide numerous other things for the child (school supplies, clothes).  And considering all these things, it does not seem fair for the child support to increase, but just not certain if these other things would even be considered at this stage of the modification process.

lilywhite

>Does anyone have experience with the Texas Child Support
>Modification system?  The CP has filed with the child support
>office for a hearing.  I know they want to see your pay, if
>you have other children, and your insurance. (16% child
>support)  This will lead to a definate increase in child
>support.  However, my question is do they take into
>consideration any other issues.  We get the child 49-52% of
>the time (depending on the year).  Also, the thing I see as
>the biggest issue is the child has played soccer for the last
>6 years, but the CP has only attended 1 game and 3 practices
>over the course of the 6 years.  We have paid for all soccer
>related expenses, picked the child up from the CP's house for
>every soccer game or practice that fell during her time with
>the child.  We provide numerous other things for the child
>(school supplies, clothes).  And considering all these things,
>it does not seem fair for the child support to increase, but
>just not certain if these other things would even be
>considered at this stage of the modification process.

Texas takes a straight 20% of the noncustodial parents net income.  It is expected that the noncustodial parent will pay the health insurance, so if you pay it, it's still a straight 20% of your income.  If the custodial parent pays it, it's added onto the child support paid by the noncustodial parent.  Other children don't change the amount of child support.  Having the child an additional amount doesn't change the amount of child support, but lucky you - way more important to see your children than to worry about child support.  I don't understand what you mean about soccer.  You're not required to enroll the child in soccer, and it certainly won't affect support.    The other things you mention will definitely NOT be considered.  

mistoffolees

>Texas takes a straight 20% of the noncustodial parents net
>income.  It is expected that the noncustodial parent will pay
>the health insurance, so if you pay it, it's still a straight
>20% of your income.  If the custodial parent pays it, it's
>added onto the child support paid by the noncustodial parent.
>Other children don't change the amount of child support.
>Having the child an additional amount doesn't change the
>amount of child support,

I know Texas is not unique in this, but IMHO, that's a lousy system.

In OK, there's a formula based on your relative salaries and relative amount of time. Basically, if you have equal parenting time and equal salaries, then neither of you owes child support. Similarly, if you have equal parenting time but very different salaries, the one who makes more money pays the other parent - even though they have equal time - to try to equalize the child's standard of living. Seems like a much more rational way of doing it.

lilywhite

It makes absolutely no difference in my child support calculation.  I just ran the Oklahoma calculator vs the Texas one.  I come out with the same amount.

mistoffolees

>It makes absolutely no difference in my child support
>calculation.  I just ran the Oklahoma calculator vs the Texas
>one.  I come out with the same amount.

Then yours must be a special case. If TX takes a straight 20% as you said and OK uses a formula which depends on both parent's income as well as the amount of time they have with the child, the result will clearly be different in most cases - but there will be a very rare case where they will be the same.