Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 06:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Attonry intentionally stalling on ex's behalf

Started by danalor513, Aug 03, 2007, 12:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danalor513

I am divorced, and child support for 13 month old baby was ordered - my atty made a mistake, and it now looks as if ex overpaid support for the 1st half of year - this is only a typo error on the date.  In order to get this fixed, a consent order for correction needed to be sent to judge signed by both lawyers acknowledging mistake and asking to correct it so I can go to probation and have support order enforced.   However, my ex's attorney has been sitting on this letter for 2 months and each time my attorney calls him he says he'll sign it and forward it to the judge - it's 2 months later, it still isn't signed, I can't get anywhere with anyone - and my ex now owes over $2000 in support.  Can anyone give me advice on what I need to do?  i have NO MORE MONEY to pay another lawyer.  It's like my ex's attorney is intentionally stalling - but how can I prove it and what do i do?

mistoffolees

>I am divorced, and child support for 13 month old baby was
>ordered - my atty made a mistake, and it now looks as if ex
>overpaid support for the 1st half of year - this is only a
>typo error on the date.  In order to get this fixed, a consent
>order for correction needed to be sent to judge signed by both
>lawyers acknowledging mistake and asking to correct it so I
>can go to probation and have support order enforced.  
>However, my ex's attorney has been sitting on this letter for
>2 months and each time my attorney calls him he says he'll
>sign it and forward it to the judge - it's 2 months later, it
>still isn't signed, I can't get anywhere with anyone - and my
>ex now owes over $2000 in support.  Can anyone give me advice
>on what I need to do?  i have NO MORE MONEY to pay another
>lawyer.  It's like my ex's attorney is intentionally stalling
>- but how can I prove it and what do i do?

Probably not much. You COULD probably force the issue if you wanted to spend a lot of money on legal fees (although it's quite possible you could get the judge to get the other party to reimburse you), but for $2,000, it's probably not a good investment.

I think I'd send a letter to your ex's attorney saying that if he doesn't sign it and forward it to the judge within 3 business days that you will file a complaint with your state bar association. I don't know if it will work, but that's the only no cost option I can see.