Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I got this postcard today and just wanted to share

Started by brwneyedmom, Aug 01, 2007, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brwneyedmom

From the Oregon Child Support Porgram to me (who receives no child support at all!!)

Dear Child Support Customer:

You have received this postcard as an Oregon Child Support Program (CSP) customer who receives no public assistance.  ("No public assistance" means that an obligee, child or child attending school has never received cash assistance, such as TANF or AFDC.  Other types of aid, such as food stanps and child care tax credit, are not considered cash assistance.)

Please note that effective October 1,2007, CSP will begin collecting an annual $25 fee from an obligee when at least $500 has been paid to the family and no public assistance has been provided to the obligee, child or child attending school.  The fee will be deducted from the next child support payment after the first $500 is received.  The $25 fee is required by federal law (45 CFR 302.33).

If you have questions about this new fee, call 1-866 XXX-XXXX.

So of course, I call.  This fee was federally enacted to -hold onto yourself- reduce the federal deficit with 2/3 going to the feds and 1/3 going to the state to offset child support collection efforts.

I'm so sad that by not getting any child support at all, I won't be able to reduce the federal deficit.  So be looking for your postcard boys and girls.  Sigh.....

notnew

Well, I am glad they aren't dipping into the Obliger's pocket for this, but I just don't understand how anyone thought it was a good idea to take the money from the receiever of the CS.

I have always thought that it was weird there was no annual fee for going through OCSE (which that cost should be split between both parties). However, to collect this amount and only give 1/3 to the state and rest to the feds (war effort I am sure), how will that cover the costs of collection?

As it is, I am pissed that I pay $2.00 per week (my company charges this) for admin. costs to process my order through OCSE. I go through this process at MY request to stop the ex from filing false charges against me. It's better for me though to have it this way so there is no question as to the payment status.

What in the hell are the feds doing? This is a hidden tax IMHO.

brwneyedmom

as though that $25 per "successful collection" account could do anything for deficit reduction.  I read several months ago that it would take every American $29,000 to pay down the deficit....so that %25 will go far.  I see it more as a tax being paid by our children.  
I would be willing to pay far more if the fee went to mediation being required between parents (yeah, I know that it doesn't always work- my son's dad being resistant to mediation and anything that isn't what he wants) but we had a kick-butt mediator who was more pit bull than anything and worked with both of us very effectively....wish he could be cloned.  Both sides had to give and we ended up with a workable document without going to court.  The state paid for 8 hours of mediation and we ended up using 12.  
I hate going to court and feel it's a lose-lose prospect.

Lionheart

Yes, in PA, it's the Obligor that pays this lovely annual admin fee.  My DH stopped paying it separately years ago, and it now gets deducted from the ex's support check once a year.  She's never questioned it, so we'll just let well enough alone!