Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

REALLY ticked off about the double standard....

Started by wallyworld, Jun 27, 2007, 12:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

but I remember just over a month ago, how you were really worried about getting her back and stuff.

File once she is back with you so Mom can't do mental damage.

dipper

Your state should have an online calculator regarding CS.  I would crunch in the numbers and see what it comes up with.  Fair is fair..and even if you dont need the money, you could put it into an account for your daughter's college.  You never know what the future will bring.

Frankly, as long as you know where she works, you could not only have her served, but have her employer served to provide proof of income..and bypass your attorney.    Best wishes...

Jade

>Your state should have an online calculator regarding CS.  I
>would crunch in the numbers and see what it comes up with.
>Fair is fair..and even if you dont need the money, you could
>put it into an account for your daughter's college.  You never
>know what the future will bring.
>
>Frankly, as long as you know where she works, you could not
>only have her served, but have her employer served to provide
>proof of income..and bypass your attorney.    Best wishes...

A word of caution about the online calculators, they aren't accurate.  It stated that my ex was due to pay $500 more a month than what the courts came up with.  I would check with an attorney, they should have the program that the courts actually use.

itbowen

Find another lawyer, you can usually service a person at work, as opposed to the address.  If you use the inter state child support agreament between states (I forgot the name but its acronym sounds like UISFA), you would file in Illinois, and she would have a hearing inf Florida.  Under those guidelines the Visitation is set up in the state the child resides in, and the child support is set by the state the obligator resides in.

The only valid reason I can think of for a lawyer to be reluctant to file a child support change would be locating the parent.  However most state have as I said a provision for servicing at their place of employment, and if they fail to be served there sen it to their last reported address to the court.  After that you can citation by publication, both locally, and wher she is assumed to live/work.  It's just more leg work.

As to the double standard I feal your pain.  As a man if I was 12K behind on the child support I would have an inmate number, my X wife does not, nor will this state (Texas), or the state I came from (INdiana) persue her for some reason.  Indiana I can understand, they never do, but Texas seams to have a jones for going after late child support.  They have a system put into place that automaticly suspends profecional licensing, and other nastieness when you are late > 1k, and especially 5K

mistoffolees

>Find another lawyer, you can usually service a person at
>work, as opposed to the address.  If you use the inter state
>child support agreament between states (I forgot the name but
>its acronym sounds like UISFA), you would file in Illinois,
>and she would have a hearing inf Florida.  Under those
>guidelines the Visitation is set up in the state the child
>resides in, and the child support is set by the state the
>obligator resides in.

I don't believe this is correct. Under the Uniform Code, the state where the child has lived for the most recent 6 month continuous period has jurisdiction - regardless of where the parents or child are living today. And I think that jurisdiction covers both visitation and support.

itbowen

The last I read it stated in that direction, Issued via AZ in 1999.

wallyworld

No, itbowen is correct about the child support.  When my ex had custody she fought tooth and nail to get  IL to transfer jurisdiction to FL (as teh calculators are different and seh would get more) but I won because even though she didn't reside in IL.  I never left.  So as long as one party resides in the state the state holds continuing exclusive jurisdiction.  Now. for her to pay child support I am unsure if IL will calculate or if FL will.  I still live in IL she lives in FL (for the time being)