Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 10:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Second Contempt in Ohio update

Started by janM, Aug 23, 2007, 04:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janM

Son and exgf were in court last week.

To recap, she is over 12 grand in arrears, was found in contempt last summer and spent a month in jail. Worked for a couple months and was garnished. Last payment was November.

This time she had a letter from a lady whose 4 girls she is babysitting (and who she and her dh brought to the courthouse, they waited in the hall). She said she was getting paid in a day or 2, so they gave her 72 hours to pay.

She was found in contempt, and a 60 day jail sentence suspended provided she make payments, and pay a cash bond of $500 by mid November.

She did make a payment - $69. So she's dodged the bullet this time.

Can anyone explain how the cash bond works?

ohu812

I live in Texas but my understanding is that it is cash only and must be paid by a specific date. Have you checked to see if there is a warrant for her? If she is arrested for it then she is not allowed to bond out or be released until the 500 is paid. If she spends 60 days in jail and doesnt come up with the 500 then she will have to stay longer or sometimes they can do work release. It sucks but they let them get away with it for a long time before they finally have enough of it. I wotked at the county jail and I did have a few men and one woman for criminal non support and they stayed for about 9 months before the judge lifted the bond.

janM

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't respond sooner.

The news is that she and her dh have separated and she is staying in another county with friends. The "job" didn't last. She has paid neither the court costs ($26) nor any more support. but still has till mid November to pay the bond.

My son is going to ask the prosecutor tomorrow how this may affect things. She was ordered to inform CSEA of any changes and I doubt she has. They will have trouble serving papers to her unless the former "landlord" gets them to her (her dh doesn't live there anymore either it seems).

We'll see what he says.