Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 08:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

child support for adopting my daughter?

Started by spinner, Nov 07, 2007, 08:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

Hi,
My daughter (step daughter really) has been left by her chinese father.
No news, and he has told her mother that she does not exist for him anymore, this is very common in asian cultures that a child (especially a girl) is not as important as a son, ... the man wants a son, discarded his daughter as he has a son with another woman, ....

The bottom line is that my lovely little girl thinks I am her dad and I think I am her dad so why not adopt her. My son think she is his sister and she thinks he is her brother.

So here I go to look after adoption and to find that one of the only ways that a judge will grant adoption is that 1 the dad signs that he renounce his parental rights, .... the dad is no where to be found and china is a big place, ....
So another way is to prove the father cannot pay child support nor support the child so I could, ......

So the question: can I file a simple motion in court (well really my wife since she is her child not mine yet) to ask for child support from a non foundable resident? we'd be happy with the minimum, the goal is not to get money, he has no US ties so we'll never get a dime but to be able in a year or 2 to say see no one takes care of her but us , ....

Comments? ideas ?

babyfat

I believe if he is nowhere to be found and is not providing any support and for at least 6 months you have been this child "father" you have several options. go to //www.childwelfare.gov look up adoption info. Also I know my state had in WV Code 49 not sure which subsection but It states if a father has abandoned a child for 6 months his rights can be terminated to that child leaving the mother as the full legal gardian and that child is free for adoption. Basically what that means is bio dad has no legal rights to the child and mom has all legal custody so if she wanted to let her current husband adopt the courts will allow that. You may very well have to first find your states code on child wefare scan it for a simular law then work on having the bio dad's rights terminated according to code then adopt. A lawyer would know how to do that. In some states you have to take an add out in the paper to try to find him first. Good luck!

babyfat

I believe if he is nowhere to be found and is not providing any support and for at least 6 months you have been this child "father" you have several options. go to //www.childwelfare.gov look up adoption info. Also I know my state had in WV Code 49 not sure which subsection but It states if a father has abandoned a child for 6 months his rights can be terminated to that child leaving the mother as the full legal gardian and that child is free for adoption. Basically what that means is bio dad has no legal rights to the child and mom has all legal custody so if she wanted to let her current husband adopt the courts will allow that. You may very well have to first find your states code on child wefare scan it for a simular law then work on having the bio dad's rights terminated according to code then adopt. A lawyer would know how to do that. In some states you have to take an add out in the paper to try to find him first. Good luck!