Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 08:48:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

reducing child support payment

Started by mplsfitter539, Jan 31, 2008, 07:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leon clugston

you have gotten youreself in a pickle there, and unfortunately youre present actions are not realy the best. But what is very sad is they cant retroactively lower support, but more often than not retroactively increase support.
Of course the variable question is, was there alleged fihures in the first place actualy legit in accordance with youre alleged income, or was it derived from an unacountable source.

wendl

First may I ask why you would be thrown in jail??? My ex is over $20k in arrears and in contempt many many times and has gone to jail twice (for like a week) and that is only because he failed to appear in court for the umteen time.

Our CS worker give him chance after chance after chance and won't throw him in jail if he is ATTEMPTING to pay cs.  WHOOOO I got $18 in January.

Why can't you send anything (don't you have a checking account in the country you live in or can't family member wire some cs to the states)

Good luck.  I would probably call the cs office to see if your caseworker can work with you.

They set the cs on a calculation of salary or if not working they can inpute the income of what a person of that age/gender would make on the average.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

mplsfitter539

>First may I ask why you would be thrown in jail??? My ex is
>over $20k in arrears and in contempt many many times and has
>gone to jail twice (for like a week) and that is only because
>he failed to appear in court for the umteen time.

I have already been thrown in jail for 10 days and the last time I went to court the judge said 90 days for contempt if I don't pay within 10 days. He made it clear that he didn't like me and that he didn't believe me that I couldn't pay. When they first figured out my income I didn't have lyme disease and rheumatoid arthritis. Also they didn't do the figures correctly. They used all my overtime and didn't subtract out my expenses. I was a union worker and according to the rules my pay can only be based on 40 hours because overtime is not mandatory. I have to pay union dues and licenses and other things that they didn't subtract out. They based my child support on over $100k per year. Without overtime that figure should be more like $60k per year. I tried paying less and the judge still put me in jail. I refuse to go back to jail, I have committed no crime. Civil contempt is not technically a crime, you don't get convicted by a jury. Its just a convenient tool judges use to get their way.

lilywhite

Well, actually civil contempt IS a a crime and you most certainly can go to jail. You can even ask for a jury trial - at least this is the way my attorney explained it to me.  Also, you were given a 90 day sentence for contempt and left the country?

I think you're in for a world of hurt.  You need to straighten this out at soon as possible.

mplsfitter539

>Well, actually civil contempt IS a a crime and you most
>certainly can go to jail. You can even ask for a jury trial -
>at least this is the way my attorney explained it to me.
>Also, you were given a 90 day sentence for contempt and left
>the country?
>
>I think you're in for a world of hurt.  You need to straighten
>this out at soon as possible.
>
>
why am I in for a world of hurt? Does someone in the US own me? I can travel to other countries freely the last time I checked. If it was illegal I think I wouldn't have a passport. Anyway thanks

superdad01

Well in my opinion if you got the means to visit other countries then you should have the means to support your child. If you have this kinda attitude in the courtroom no wonder the judge don't like you. Hopefully a good attorney could get this matter straightened out for you. How are you benefitibg your child if your not even in the country?

I don't think any father here has an issue with paying childsupport. I think the real issue is being denied time with your child to justify the need for excessive childsupport.

mplsfitter539

>Well in my opinion if you got the means to visit other
>countries then you should have the means to support your
>child. If you have this kinda attitude in the courtroom no
>wonder the judge don't like you. Hopefully a good attorney
>could get this matter straightened out for you. How are you
>benefitibg your child if your not even in the country?
>
>I don't think any father here has an issue with paying
>childsupport. I think the real issue is being denied time with
>your child to justify the need for excessive childsupport.
As usual you have your opinion based on not knowing anything about my situation. I don't have money to "visit" other countries I only had enough to leave. Here my parents help me with my living expenses.