Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Va DSS

Started by greatdad, Mar 10, 2008, 08:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini3

Yes, we're in VA.  I think that there is a small fee that they charge the CP once a year - $25 or something - but it's not much.

I think they can impute income as well.  Your ex can fight it in court, but DCSE will appear for you.  As for whether or not she complies, and what can be done - it depends on the state she's in.  I have a friend here in VA whose ex wife owes him over $60K in back child support.  DCSE went after her, but the judge in IN wouldn't enforce.

But, it's a good place for you to start.  Good luck!

ocean

Yes, once it is set up then you do not go back to court unless you needed to change the amount. Here, you have to have a court order first, then CSE starts a case and takes over but filing with the court was free and I did it myself. Since child support is by the numbers in most states, I figured I knew enough to go without a lawyer.

Call your local CSE on Monday and see if they will start an initial case or if you need to get court orders....I can't believe she has not been ordered to pay anything???

greatdad

>Yes, once it is set up then you do not go back to court
>unless you needed to change the amount. Here, you have to have
>a court order first, then CSE starts a case and takes over but
>filing with the court was free and I did it myself. Since
>child support is by the numbers in most states, I figured I
>knew enough to go without a lawyer.
>
>Call your local CSE on Monday and see if they will start an
>initial case or if you need to get court orders....I can't
>believe she has not been ordered to pay anything???

She is in NC. I think I have a malpractice case against my atty, but don't have $$ to persue. Support  and arrears were factored into decree and then since her atty refused to agree, judge removed CS but specifically left it open to persue.
It is unlike anything I have heard, that a father ( or mother for that matter) is awarded sole custody after a 3 day trial, and CS is blundered in this way !

greatdad

>Yes, we're in VA.  I think that there is a small fee that
>they charge the CP once a year - $25 or something - but it's
>not much.
>
>I think they can impute income as well.  Your ex can fight it
>in court, but DCSE will appear for you.  As for whether or not
>she complies, and what can be done - it depends on the state
>she's in.  I have a friend here in VA whose ex wife owes him
>over $60K in back child support.  DCSE went after her, but the
>judge in IN wouldn't enforce.
>
>But, it's a good place for you to start.  Good luck!
>

DCSE has assigned a case # and it is in the "establishment unit". Can you tell me how long it takes until the X is notified and then how long until DCSE takes some action  ??....all I can do is call their call center, you can't get the case worker on the phone .

>

gemini3

In my case it took about 6 weeks total.  They notified her within two weeks.  They'll send your ex a letter requesting information and giving her a certain amount of time to respond.  Then they will establish the amount of support and notify her of how much it is and how it must be paid.

greatdad

>In my case it took about 6 weeks total.  They notified her
>within two weeks.  They'll send your ex a letter requesting
>information and giving her a certain amount of time to
>respond.  Then they will establish the amount of support and
>notify her of how much it is and how it must be paid.
I hope it goes that smoothly. My X  is 6 1/2 mos pregnant by her boyfriend ( we just got divorce decree beginning of this month !!) and still has a lawyer. She is saying she is unemployed and since pregnant, wont be working for  a while. She IS working but also  has someone else paying all her expenses including housing , car. I was told that DCSE can impute ( x is licensed cosmetologist) and that pregnancy ( especially from adultery) does not factor in to support obligation. I hope this is true ?????? Does DCSE also calculate and enforce arrrears ?