Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 02:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Working two jobs but not for long

Started by latindohko, Aug 07, 2008, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

latindohko

I originally started working two jobs so that i can pay the debt that both my gf and i have incurred.  I have two sons with my soon to ex-girlfriend and i want some advice.  If she takes me to court for child support, i am going to quit my second job so i can fight for 50/50 joint custody. Will she be able to successfully get the courts to include the income from the second job, if i no longer work there?  I know that usually the courts take into account how much i have spent with them before the child support was started, so it will be a little difficult to get 50/50.  Going with this assumption, will be ok to assume the same with the second job's income?  We live in CA.

ocean

I would bring your current paystubs to court. It will show up on next years tax return if you go to court next year. It you really want 50/50 parenting time, keep track of when you have kids and file for it. Has custody been decided in the past already?

justiceleague

Your order for child support will be dependent on the state that you live.
Have you legally acknowledged paternity? Did you sign the AOP at birth? Are you on your sons birth certificate?
If not, this will be pursued first in court. Since your children were born outside of wedlock, it is best to have paternity acknowledged through the courts by a DNA test.
Custody: Most likely the courts will direct you to mediate this with the mother. Playing nice now and later is the best thing you can do so this progresses smoothly.
Ocean is right. keep track of the time your are spending with your children. Legally until there is a decree for custody from the courts you do not have any rights to visitation. Hence is may be best for you to be proactive and go to court first to establish custody, paternity, if this has not been done already, and child support.
This protects you, the children, and the mom. CA usually tend to decree custody at 50/50.  

Child support: CA child support is not a standard percentage. For an estimate of what you would pay got to //www.allaw.com.
Again you should be proactive and file in order to protect yourself

MothersGetARawDealToo

In California, you can quit the second job at any time if your first job is a fulltime job!  You are not required to have a second job!  I just paid my attorney $350.00 yesterday to give me that bit of good news.  If you choose to keep the second job then it will be considered in the child support calculation though.