Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

They are coming after my SSDI

Started by oyeoyeoye, Dec 06, 2003, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oyeoyeoye

Some details, I live in the San Francisco area, the divorce is in LA county so I have to go there to deal.

I made an appointment to see the Court Facilitator, hopefully to get my CS reduced to zero. But I recently found out that there is a huge chance that they are going to attach my SSDI. If they do this I will be on the street.
I SHOULD have gone back to LA a year ago to deal with this, but I could not get ahold of the Facilitator and more importantly, I am on chemo therapy and have Chronic Fatigue... doing the normal things that everyone takes for granted is a major effort. So, please don't tell me how I should have dealt with this earlier. I tried.. but it wasn't good enough.

My questions:
    Is going to the Facilitator a good thing? She told me to bring the last settlement papers and my SSDI papers. Is she going to tear me to shreds like the last time I went to court? My ex is now wealthy due to a law suit they won. I even read the abstract but cannot find the part that says exactly what they got. By their own words a year ago, "I'm getting 6.3 million dollars"...  this is the total sum of their fathers estate. Long story but, will any of this figure into my being attached? My current SSDI income is just a bit over $18K a year.
   Would I be better of just taking a walk on one of the bridges here and becomeing fish food?
   The last time they did this they took 50% of my pay ( I was working ). I was making all of 10/ hr. So, I was left with 5/hr, then taxes and insurance. I had to give up my apartment and live on a friends ranch in a tent.
   I have no visitation rights so don't mention that. No, I didn't abuse my children or use drugs... long story. Ex is Fundamentalist Christian, coached my kids what to say to an court appointed evaluator, and, I was left without visitation rights. I haven't seen my children since 1997. This alone is enough to make me want to drive off a bridge.
  You can tell I'm pretty shaken up. I probably an not making sense.
   I can't afford a lawyer which I know is probably going to hurt me.

Freaked out... feeling helpless .

New Education

The Facilitator shouldn't do anything but help you. If you are being mistreated, file a complaint against them.

If you know for sure that your ex has gotten the settlement then you may want to have your CS modified due to how much you make and how much the ex has just gotten...

Take any court papers which show how much the ex may be getting to give to the Facilitator - for the modification...

Unfortunately, if you owe child support, the Gov't will find a way to attach any income. If you can talk with your ex, explain what is happening and why you need what little money you have - maybe she will stop the CS and forgive back CS...

A bright side may be that IF she actually getshas  that money- you may be the one receiving CS from her ... but I'm not sure how that will work if you do not have visitation with the child(ren)...

If you go into court making such statements as you have here; "Would I be better of just taking a walk on one of the bridges here and becomeing fish food?" and "This alone is enough to make me want to drive off a bridge ". You aren't going to get anywhere. You need to be more positive and figure out what you want from this situation and go for it - no matter the cost... who knows you may end up with visitation with your kids and receiving CS from the ex.. Believe me I was so depressed going through my own situation it took me a good 4 years to stop the 'poor me' and do what I needed to do for my daughter.. and now, after 9 months of litigation she is sleeping in her room in MY house every night.

It's up to you to decide what you are going to do. If things don't work out the first time - appeal, or go back to court in a few months...

Good Luck,
New Education

I do what I do solely for the children who deserve to be treated with respect and fairness and given a chance to be listened to for their best interest.