Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

unwed father wanting rights

Started by skeeter, Jan 18, 2005, 04:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeter

I would like to get my rights setup for my new child but can not get along with the mother.  Can not find very many sights on the web that provide information for unwed fathers?  The mother of the child keeps fighting with me because of my girlfriend.  We had a verbal agreement after I got a lawyer to draft papers but that only lasted two days.  The girlfriend is very supportive of my contact with the child but says the mother is on a power drive with me.  I can not bring my child to my house because I live with my girlfriend.  The mother has gone as far as to tell my family that if/when they watch my child I am not to bring the girlfriend there to see my baby.  Don't know what to do to get along with this woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What ARE MY RIGHTS????????Can any one give a man a word up?????????

wendl

1) get paternity established thru the courts
2) file a motion for a parenting plan, be very specific in your parenting plan.
3) you will be ordred to pay child support as well.

You  are basically at the mercy of the mother unless you have a court order giving you parenting time with your child, and even with that it will be a struggle at times.

Contact an attorney or your local court clerk on how to file and the proceedures to take for serving the mother.

Document everything. Educate yourself on the laws in your state.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

patton

I was also an unwed father.  Actually didn't even learn I had a child until he was 18 months old.

I don't know where you live and different states have different criteria.

You need to get that paternity test like wendl said.

If you go through the state to help you, they will set up the paternity tests etc for all 3 of you.

Also depending on the state they will set up child support and possibly visitation.  Texas sets both up at the same time.

Some states are only concerned with the child support and you will have to hire an attorney to gain visitation rights.

By the way, hang in there, I have sole custody of our son now, and I do have a girlfriend I live with.  And the ex-gf and her get a long fairly well now.