Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Access to school and medical info ILCS 5/602.1

Started by equal_rights, Nov 08, 2004, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

equal_rights

What is the purpose of this statute if it isn't enforceable unless you have a court order stating you can see the records.  I thought it was state law.  I have repeatedly had School administrators tell me to get a court order other wise they are telling me nothing, and one even told me not to show up at the building.  I thought it was the law, and that all I had to do was provide documentation that I am the father.  The Principal, and someone identifying themself as the Asst Super Intendent and Super Intendent all said that they would have to ask the mother if it was ok for me to have the files and info.  The mother didn't even put me down as a parent or emergency contact in my childs file.

750 ILCS 5/602.1

(e)
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, access to records and information pertaining to a child, including but not limited to medical, dental, child care and school records, shall not be denied to a parent for the reason that such parent is not the child's custodial parent; however, no parent shall have access to the school records of a child if the parent is prohibited by an order of protection from inspecting or obtaining such records pursuant to the Illinois Domestic Violence Act of 1986, as now or hereafter amended.

Genie

both parents are allowed access to the children's records unless there is a court order stating otherwise.  So you can request all this information from the school, doctor's, dentists etc and they HAVE to give it to you.  We used to get report cards and everything sent home to BM to us from school b/c she wouldn't give him anything.  

Sometimes you will be met by resistance or be told they have to talk to the CP first but then just put your foot down and mention the law and your rights. There are very good letters you can use on SPARC so send if you want to go that route.  We never had a problem getting anything we needed.

MYSONSDAD

I have a simular situation with the doctor. Won't give out anything until the mother signs her permission. WTF!

ALL ABOUT CONTROL!

"Children learn what they live"

equal_rights

The doctor actually gave me the records after I faxed her a copy of ILCS 5/602.1.  She also allowed me to bring my child in recently.  I was told my child had asthma.  The doctor couldn't believe that the mother never told me, and never sent the medicine over with my child.