Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 02:33:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

House Bill 1059

Started by Phillie, Mar 04, 2004, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillie

Dear Marylanders,
     There is a bill in the house of representatives that, if passed, will start the process to raise the age of majority for child support in our state to 23.  The supporters of the bill are;

From Montgomery county:
Kathleen Dumais, district 15
Nancy King, district 39
Michael Gordon, district 17
Shelia Hixson

From Prince Georges county:
Carolyn B. Howard

From Baltimore County:
Sulima Siler Marriott

Go to the website for the Maryland General Assembly

http://www.mlis.state.md.us/   and send them something like this something like this;

Dear Mr. Delegate,
        I was just checking over the General Assembly site to see what bills were being introduced concerning child support in the state of Maryland.  I would like to let you know that I believe that you have several good bills that would benefit families in the state concerning child support.  However, HB 1059 is not one of them.  

A similar bill was introduced during the last legislative session.  This bill supported raising the age of majority to 21.  I would just like to remind you that there is no similar law requiring that in tact families in the state of Maryland support their children through college.  
    This bill is a very bad idea for the families and tax payers that reside in the state of Maryland.  We oppose it and you should be ashamed to bring it to the house.    

Sincerely, Mr. tax paying, voting resident

To your representatives write something like this;  
Dear Delegate___________,

I was going over the bills that are being introduced this legislative term when I noticed HB1059, another bill to raise the age of majority for child support.   I would like you to know that I am in no way in favor of such a bill.  Let adult children and their fathers work out the details of their postsecondary education themselves, without state interference.  This idiotic bill attempts to hold non-custodial parents responsible for something which law does not hold in-tact families responsible.

The legislators responsible for hb1059 are attempting to try again to raise the age of majority for child support, this time to 23.  They include the following Dumais, King, Gordon and Hixson from Mongomery County and Howard from PG's County and Marriott from Baltimore County, the counties of entitlements.  Please keep an eye out for HB 1059 and vote no for this bill.  

Thank you again for all that you do to help our state.
                                           Sincerely, Mr. and Mrs._____________

Save copies of these for next year, because they will surely try again.  Get everyone you know to send them a similar letter.
Keep and eye on things everyone, it does not cost you a cent to make your opinion known to our representatives.  Power to the people!!!

Phillie

Until 2002 the age of majority in Maryland was 18, period.  It is now, age 18 or out of highschool up to age 19!!!  They try every year to change this.