Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Right To Review Notices From County CS Offices

Started by jurroppi1, Jul 12, 2004, 05:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurroppi1

I just received a right to review notice, and so did the ex obviously. I'm curious if anybody else is of the opinion that these notices can be construed as legal advice from these agents that aren't supposed to proffer any legal advice per law as they are not attorneys, and cannot act as attorneys for their clients (only represent the state's interests).

Every time I've ever come close to asking my caseworker a legal question, the first words out of her mouth are that she cannot give me any legal advice, but I see these notices that proffer legal advice on statutory language and interpretations, as a remider to obligors and obligees that they can request a review of their CS order. I wonder if it is legit for them to send these notices to people that have representation, or are not on an IV-D case, or some other welfare role. (collections services and welfare are two totally different things) - Welfare automatically collects and provides a passthrough without a fee or need to sign up for collections services, someone who signs up for collections services is a person that pays a one time fee to set up the account, and now pasy a percentage fee monthly also.

Any one else have the same interpretation of this?

hatewelfare

I would highly doubt that it is written in MN state statues  that they must send these out. Therefore I would think that they are spending money (paper costs, printing, envelope stuffing and mailing costs) that the state doesn't have right now.

It's clear they are only trying to raise the amount of CS coming in, in order to raise the matching funds from the Feds. We all know how many times we can get a reduction vs. a increase in CS.

Proving it to who and how is another story. Just another costly legal battle...unless you could go public with it like on TV or something...even then you'd have people saying we're only whinning and at the same time informing the entire state full of CS receivers that they can at anytime request a review.

Yes, I believe they are screwing us again and know it...they also know there is little that can be done about it. That is why they do it.

God help us...

jurroppi1

"Yes, I believe they are screwing us again and know it...they also know there is little that can be done about it. That is why they do it."

Boy aint that just the truth... I agree, they get fed matching funds of 25 cents per dollar collected, they charge a dollar per month for anyone using collections services, and now they're tacking on a 2% fee as well. Talk about pork barrel boondoggles!

hisliltulip

They also charge a non-welfare recipient obligee $25.00 to open a case up.

BM was to start paying CS Feb 1st, she is now 6 months in arrears.  He had to pay them $25.00 to enforce the order.

On the upside, $25.00 beats the $200 we had to pay our attorney for TRYING to enforce the order.

I don't agree with the state "reminding" everyone involved that you can get an adjustment.  This is just advertising for them.  Get more people in court, get more NCP's paying more, then THEY end up with more money too.

3 Boys!

OSS - NCP
YSS - CP
DS -CP

Lawmoe

It is not only not legal advice,there is a statutory requirement that they must provide a Notice of review to outline the procedures for that review as part of Due Process.

For Minnesota Family Law answers visit http://www.divorceprofessionals.com