Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 01:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Could this be? Fatherhood an issue...

Started by MYSONSDAD, Mar 08, 2005, 02:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYSONSDAD

Updated: 02:47 PM EST
Mrs. Bush, Husband in Tow, Discusses Problems of Youth

By ELISABETH BUMILLER, The New York Times

AP

First lady Laura Bush speaks Monday about her plans to combat gang violence through the "Helping America's Youth" program.

The plan is an umbrella for several White House initiatives, including those that focus on:
· Marriage
· Fatherhood
· Reading & Education
· Character Education
· Faith-Based Outreach
· Mentoring for Prisoners

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump Below:
· Other First Ladies' Causes

Talk About It: Post | Chat  

PITTSBURGH (March 7) - President Bush appeared as the supportive spouse on Monday to his wife's new program intended to help troubled youth, and then took a seat in the background.

"This is a real role reversal," the first lady, Laura Bush, told a crowd at the Community College of Allegheny County. "I've listened to a million of his speeches. Now he's going to listen to one of mine."

For the next 20 or so minutes, while Mr. Bush slouched agreeably in his chair behind her, Mrs. Bush outlined her plans to combat gang violence, drug addiction, alcoholism, sexual activity and alienation among the country's youth. Rather than using the cozy manner of her campaign speeches, she talked of her husband in a professional way instead of a personal one.

"President Bush asked me to lead this new effort, and when he did, I eagerly accepted," Mrs. Bush said.

It was the first time the couple have traveled together to promote the program, "Helping America's Youth," since Mr. Bush announced in his State of the Union address last month that his wife would lead it.

Mrs. Bush said she would be convening a White House conference this fall on the issue. The conference, which is to promote public awareness of the problems facing children and teenagers, will include policy makers, researchers, volunteer organizations, educators and parents.

"Some trends among youth are heading in the right direction, but others are not," Mrs. Bush said. "Risky behaviors, including illegal drug use, alcohol and tobacco use, violence and early sexual activity, are still among the top causes of disease and early death among young people."

First Ladies' Causes  

She added that "more children in America are growing up without fathers in their lives" and said studies showed that boys raised without fathers accounted for an overwhelming number of violent criminals in the United States.

Most of the "Helping America's Youth" initiative consists of administration programs already in effect. The name is in large part a marketing tool that ties the programs together and promotes strong religious faith, families and communities as solutions. Mrs. Bush herself called it an "umbrella initiative that incorporates several federal programs that already exist or that have been proposed in the president's budget."

For example, the initiative included the education overhaul that requires mandatory testing in Grades 3 through 8, which the administration named the No Child Left Behind Act. The initiative does include one proposed new program, a $150-million, three-year effort to keep young people from joining gangs by giving them positive role models.

In remarks introducing his wife, Mr. Bush said he and the first lady were concerned about young people in the United States.

"We're worried about gangs, we're worried about drugs, we're worried about bad choices," he said. "But we also know that if we can, in our small way, encourage people to put their arm around somebody and say, 'I love you, what can I do to help you?', if we can encourage people to step forward and to volunteer their time and talent and compassion, this country can be a better place."

More From The Times  

· Next Step in Rebuilding Iraq: Bring Power to the People
· At Heart of Social Security Debate, a Misunderstanding
· A Struggle With Memories of Torture Down the Street

Mr. Bush then said: "But the truth of the matter is, I'm the introducer." When the crowd applauded, he said: "Yes. Not the first time people have cheered when I said, 'I'm the introducer, and Laura's the speaker.' "

Earlier in the day, the Bushes stopped by an after-school classroom at the Providence Family Support Center, run by the Sisters of Divine Providence, on the north side of Pittsburgh. Mrs. Bush autographed pictures of Barney, the family Scottish terrier, and Mr. Bush sat on a child's orange plastic chair next to Jade Gaines, a fourth grader.

"I'm George," the president told her.