Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 08:17:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Get this....bias with a plus

Started by MYSONSDAD, Mar 22, 2005, 05:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinb85

I would be curious as to what she says.

MYSONSDAD

10 Warning Signs of Abuse

1. Withholding approval as punishment if you say something partner doesn't like.

2. Making derogatory comments about your family and friends.

3. Pressure to be intimate too soon with premature declarations of love.

4. Playing "games" to exercise physical and/or emotional power.

5. Battering behaviors in previous relationships and family history of violence.

6. Poor coping skills, alcohol and drug use, blaming others for problems.

7. Constant questions about your whereabouts.

8. Criticizing you through jokes, insults and other passive-aggressive behaviors.

9. Ignoring or minimizing your thoughts, feelings and goals.

10. Damaging or destroying your property when angry or upset.

"Children learn what they live"

MYSONSDAD

Well said....

MYSONSDAD

People like her, will not respond.

I placed it with the "Right People", to do with what they will..

HeavenSent

I see nothing biased about the content.  The author is trying to help abused women.  Period.  She makes no derrogatory comments about men as a whole, nor does she make any assumptions that ALL men are abusive.  There is nothing in the letter that presumes the only abusers are men.

I don't know a lot of statistics, but I do know that this is true:

1. Women are abused by men.
2. Men are abused by women.
3. Women are abused by women.
4. Men are abused by men.
5. The number of men who abuse women is more than any other combination.

All of those statements are FACTS; not opinions, not biased, but FACTS.  So in order to help the most number of people at one time, you would single out women who are abused by men.  Not due to any personl predjudice against men, only because that's what the numbers are.  That is the way it is, like it or not, its fact.  More men abuse women.  

By the way...I also believe that the number of men who treat women like goddesses, and who would give thier left nut for thieir woman, FAR outnumbers the ones who resort to domestic violence!....HMM... perhaps I'm biased...

MYSONSDAD

Please feel free to post your "FACTS", resources and statistics. I am curious on where you receive your information. Mine ARE quite different...

Please feel free to quote from the letter where this person quotes 'men as being abused too.'

>A message from our chairman
Dear Friend,

Did you know that a woman is physically abused every 9 seconds in the United States?

The issues of power and control are at the heart of all domestic abuse situations. Whether a man repeatedly beats his girlfriend, uses intimidation to make her feel afraid, or denigrates her consistently to convince her she has no worth, domestic abuse is a serious problem for both women and men around the world.

Domestic abuse is usually thought of as physical abuse. However, there are many other types such as sexual, verbal, psychological and emotional, economic and social abuse. Each of these forms of domestic abuse can be just as harmful as the next.

The effects of domestic abuse are far greater than a black eye or a broken bone. Women and their children suffer from the pain of abuse, psychologically and emotionally, well beyond the abusive act itself. The statistics surrounding domestic abuse are terribly alarming:

Medical services for battered women total an estimated $857 million dollars every year.
Battering is the leading cause of pregnancy complications.
Domestic violence is the leading cause of homelessness for women and children.
I believe the problem of domestic abuse is one that can be solved if we recognize it for what it is. The first step is raising awareness. For that reason, I will devote a series of letters to the topic of domestic abuse and what you can do to recognize and stop the cycle of abuse. I have provided additional resources for you online at //www.charmingvoices.com so you can become well informed about the issue and learn where to get help if you or someone you know is in an abusive situation. To call for help now, the National Domestic Violence Hotline is 1.800.799.SAFE.

As women, we have the power to accept domestic abuse or stop it now. Become informed. Become an advocate for women. I encourage you to stand up and let your voice be heard. Speak out against domestic abuse and make a difference.

Sincerely,

Dorrit Bern <

Please show me one phrase that does not show men as the perpetrator.

HeavenSent

The letter says nothing about men being abused too, I agree.  Nor does it mention the women who are abused by thier female partners, or any other abusive situation.  That is not the authors goal.  She is only addressing women who are abused by men.  

She is not trying to help everyone in every situation.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that, since she is not denying other forms of abuse or trying to degrade any group (gender) as a whole.

Like I said, I don't have any statistics or resources.  I'm writing from common knowledge only.  

Do you believe one of my 5 statements to be untrue?

MYSONSDAD

No, I base my findings on FACTS...

The authors goal is pretty direct, that is based on my "common sense"

Brent

>She is only addressing women who are abused by
>men.  

Isn't that kind of sexist? Are only women deserving of help in DV situations? If not, why didn't she take a gender-neutral approach? You and I both know that her letter portrays women as victims and men as perpetrators. Period.

>She is not trying to help everyone in every situation.

Ummm, I think that was the point.

>Like I said, I don't have any statistics or resources.  I'm
>writing from common knowledge only.  

In other words, ,from your own personal point of view, which really sort of sets the stage for what you perceive and believe, right?

>Do you believe one of my 5 statements to be untrue?

Does it matter what I believe? Your mind seems pretty well made up.

Everyside

10 Warning Signs of Abuse

1. Withholding approval as punishment if you say something partner doesn't like.

2. Making derogatory comments about your family and friends.

3. Pressure to be intimate too soon with premature declarations of love.

4. Playing "games" to exercise physical and/or emotional power.

5. Battering behaviors in previous relationships and family history of violence.

6. Poor coping skills, alcohol and drug use, blaming others for problems.

7. Constant questions about your whereabouts.

8. Criticizing you through jokes, insults and other passive-aggressive behaviors.

9. Ignoring or minimizing your thoughts, feelings and goals.

10. Damaging or destroying your property when angry or upset.

I  personally heard or saw my husband's exwife do 9 out of 10 of these things while they were married.  Hell, she still does the same 9 out of 10 of them and they've been divorced over 8 years.