Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 09:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spielberg Strikes Again

Started by antonin, Jun 27, 2005, 06:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonin

I am not pleased with the character Tom cruise portrays in War of the Worlds, a major motion picture opening Wed., directed by Spielberg. Cruise is basically a non-caring Dad who wrecked his marriage. Of course, he turns into a good dad at the end, but needs the ordeal of an Alien invasion to do it.

Spielberg made the Dad the villian in E.T., also. Spielberg has had issues wih his own father over the years, and it shows up in his films. I just wish he'd lighten up on the anti-dad crap.

MYSONSDAD

Tom Cruise Video anti-psych-industry/drug-industry (Ritalin) situation as NBC is probably going to be willing to make available:

http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/8344309/

"Children learn what they live"

Sunshine1

Tom is a freak.  Could he just answer a question?  Or just explain to the world why Scientology is so great and why everyone else's religion is garbage.  I think Tom needs to start taking some Ritalin. LOL

MYSONSDAD

This use of Ritanlin should be brought to everyones attention. It is mind altering. Are you aware that there is legislation for every child to be mentally evaluated?

Tom Cruise has brought this out publicly. Parents should be made aware of what this stuff can do.

Link: Ritalin is More Potent Than Cocaine By Jean West
http://www.mercola.com/2001/sep/26/ritalin.htm

Here's a short excerpt of what you'll find:

"The children's drug Ritalin has a more potent effect on the brain than
cocaine.

"Using brain imaging, scientists have found that, in pill form, Ritalin -
taken by thousands of British children and four million in the United States
- occupies more of the neural transporters responsible for the 'high'
experienced by addicts than smoked or injected cocaine. The research may
alarm parents whose children have been prescribed Ritalin as a solution to
Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder.

"The study was commissioned to understand more about why Ritalin - which has
the same pharmacological profile as cocaine - is effective in CALMING
children and helping them concentrate, while cocaine produces an intense
'high' and is powerfully addictive."  (emphasis mine)

Of the effect on children, Jean, in her interview for Journal of the
American Medical Association newsletter, said: 'They say it's like cocaine.'

A good teacher wants young, sharp, active minds... and enjoys the process
BECAUSE THEY ARE WAY AHEAD OF THE CLASS... chucking to themselves as they
join in the joy of the semi-organized mass discovery and corresponding
excitement they have fostered.

"Children learn what they live"

stressedstepmom

I agree that the use of Ritalin and other drugs like it should be brought to everyones attention. Both of my SS's are on some form of mind altering medications for their ADD or ADHD. First YSS was on Adderall but seems it wasn't right for him, and he is now on something else. Plus OSS is on something as well. YSS does have issues that seem to be related to ADHD but with OSS we do not see it at all. We have no idea what meds they are on as DH is told anytime he asks BM anything that has to do with their lives that it is none of his business. They are HER kids not his. This is what he is constantly told but then when she decides to take DH to court for whatever new BS she comes up with she starts singing the song that he is never there for them (???). We go to pick the boys up this weekend, so we will see then what drugs they are on now.

We are completely against them being medicated. We feel that all they need is discipline in their lives. I know that there are some children who actually benefit from these medications, but I also feel that this country is too gung-ho on shelling it out to any parents who cry wolf. So on this point I do agree with Tom Cruise. But I also just had a baby. I believe that he is way off on his personal attacks of Brooke Shields and her post partum issues. I have never had any post partum that was bad enough for me to be medicated, but it is reassuring to know that there is help available to me if I ever feel I need it.

I think Mr. Cruise just needs to stick to promoting his movie and leave the mental health of people (at least adults) he does not know to those who have degrees in those areas.

My family does not plan on seeing his movie though. We are waiting for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We don't want to pay $100 or more this summer to see yet another movie with a dead beat dad. We are tired of it. There really needs to be a disclaimer for some of these movies. I don't know how many of you saw Are We There Yet? but if we had gone to see that movie with my SS's I would have been very uncomfortable. The dad in that movie is a bad dad who forgot all about his older children once he remarried and had a new baby.  I am glad that we just rented it, and even though there were some funny parts, I tell anyone that asks not to see it.

antonin

Thanks for getting back to the point of my orginal post: the negative aspects of the
image of dadhood as depicted in the War of the Worlds and ET, and other Spielberg films.

Spielberg is always touting what a great dad he is and how great dadhood is. I am amazed he never turned his camera on a father in a truely positive light.

In Close Encounters, Richard dryfeuss wigs out to be with the aliens instead of his family and in Minority report, Tom Cruise's neglect gets his son killed.

Shame on you, Steve.