Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

She's moving my son out of state...

Started by ScubaDiver, Jul 27, 2005, 10:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScubaDiver

My ex and her new husband (4th) of about a year are moving from warner robbins georgia to birmingham alabama.

We have joint custody and I haven't received any notification.

She told me over the phone yesterday they are now in temporary housing (he's in the AF), and getting ready to leave at the end of the week.

My attorney says there is really nothing I can do about it.

Help

CustodyIQ

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

1.  What is the current parenting schedule?  Approximate is fine.

2.  What argument would you use that the child(ren) should stay mostly with you, rather than move with her?

c_alexander

I know that in Indiana papers must be filed before a move out of state and at that time the non-custodial parent has the option to agree or contest the move. My ex wife moved from Idiana to Colorado so I certainly know your pain. It would serve you well to find out what the laws are in your state in regards to a move like this. If she does not follow the proper procedures you may have more of a chance of stopping this or getting your child back. I will however warn you that it has been my own experience that judges not interfere in the mothers moving. They seem to think that it violates the mothers constitutional rights to keep the child from being torn away from it's father. I know that sounds harsh, but it is true more often then not. Other then that my only advice to you is to either move to be closer to your child ( at which point getting the courts to file a restraining order preventing the mother from moving anymore would be a good idea) or atempt to be a father from a distance. I personally could not be a good father from 1000 miles away and opted to leave behind all my friends, family and everything I knew to move to Colorado to be with my daughter.  I so feel your pain and wish there was more that I could do.

ScubaDiver

Thanks Chris,

I already moved once to be closer to him. All these dead beat dads out there and real men wanting to be part of their childs life get stuck with women that keep us from our children to hurt us, and all they are doing is hurting their children.

Thanks again.

Brent

Check here:

Preparing For A 'Move-Away' Or Custody Battle
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/moveaway.htm

Preventing Domestic Move-Aways
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/moving.htm

FAQ:
http://www.deltabravo.net/faq/law_ans42.htm

>My ex and her new husband (4th) of about a year are moving
>from warner robbins georgia to birmingham alabama.
>
>We have joint custody and I haven't received any
>notification.
>
>She told me over the phone yesterday they are now in temporary
>housing (he's in the AF), and getting ready to leave at the
>end of the week.
>
>My attorney says there is really nothing I can do about it.
>
>Help

gipsy

read the parenting plan on what it say's about moveing away ~!Mine say's she has to notify me and give me time to object,

c_alexander

Although my faith in the system is all but shot Scuba I hope that you fight this. You take her to court and protest. If the judge is unreasonable and allows the move...EVEN AFTER NOTING THQAT YOU HAVE ALREADY MOVED ONCE TO BE A PART OF THIS CHILDS LIFE...then change venue. Move with them, right next door if you have to to send the clear message that YOU WILL BE A FATHER TO YOUR CHILD. Brother jobs, friends and all the BS this life has for us comes and goes in the blink of an eye. We only get one shot at being there for our kids though. Never give up, never give in, and never admit defeat. I wish you all the best man. All the best.

norm9838

I understand how you feel. It would not surprize me at all if the mother of my child would decide to move out of state. She has lived in 9 different places since she moved out. My child has been in 5 different schools and is just starting the 6th grade. She took up with a man in the last year and just recently got married. He was originally from two states away and also has a 12 year old who currently he can not see that lives out of state. If I were to receive papers in the mail saying they were moving there it would not shock me. She has the opiniion that I can not stop her from doing anything. Well one thing I do know it that I have always had constant contact with my child. I have always been the only constant in her life when it comes to stability, unless you can count the fact that her mother has constantly moved, constantly been unstable, and constantly been a pain in the you know what. I do not know what I would do if she did move away but I do not think that I would pick up my belongings and go along for the ride. I have always lived in a small community compared to where they would be moving to. I have lived in the same home now for 15 years and work at the same job of 16 years. Could I transfer yes, my job would probably allow it. One thing that I do know is this though. My child would drive her crazy because she would not be able to see me like she does now. We have our tiffs my child and I but she knows that I love her and that I will always be there for her. The animosity that she would manifest from her mother moving that far away from me would eat her mother alive. I wish you luck and I myself am going to look into a restraining order just in case she gets froggy!