Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 07:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NBC Says Dads Can't Care for Their Kids

Started by POC, Aug 04, 2005, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

NBC Says Dads Can't Care for Their Kids
in New Series

August 4, 2005

Glenn Slams NBC's Meet Mister Mom on Air America's Charles Goyette Show
I slammed NBC's new "reality" show Meet Mister Mom on the Charles Goyette Show on Air America KXXT AM 1010 in Phoenix, Arizona on August 4. The tone of the show can be gathered from the intro:

"For most dads, 'man of the house' is more of an honorary title. Give dad a wrench or a carving knife and...well, he still needs lots of supervision. Sure, he'll squeeze a melon, but he has no idea why. Many dads go off to work and leave the tough job to mom--until now.
[Mom says goodbye, kid says 'we're doomed,' and an overwhelmed dad says 'I'm sweating']

Coming to NBC Tuesday, dads take on their greatest challenge--being a mom, and find out that doing mom's job can be a real mother.

[Overwhelmed dad says 'this is horrible' and then asks 'when's my wife coming home?']"

I contest the show's message that mom has it rough while dad has it easy, mom is smarter than dad, and mom is always right.

To watch excerpts of Meet Mister Mom, click here. To comment on Meet Mister Mom, click here.

To learn more about the contributions fathers make to their families, see my columns: Indiana Woman's 'Housework Strike': Maybe It's Husbands Who Should Strike (Gary Post-Tribune, 11/8/02) and Stay-at-Home Dads: A Practical Solution to the Career Woman's Dilemma (Philadelphia Inquirer, 5/29/02).

To learn more about unfair media depictions of fathers, see my column Why I Launched the Campaign Against Verizon's Anti-Father Ad (Pasadena Star-News, 11/18/04) and the His Side Campaign Against Anti-Father Verizon Commercial.

The show got lousy ratings and is being critically panned, so hopefully its run will be mercifully short.

Glenn Sacks

POC's Letter to NBC:

To Whom it May Concern:

In this day and age when the biggest barrier to good dads being able to spend more time with their kids is a court order, not a lack of desire, it is disheartening that NBC chooses to depict fathers as morons. It is about as funny as running a spoof telling black people to get to the back of the bus. If ever given the opportunity to participate in televison ratings I will make sure that even if I want to watch an NBC show that it is on one of my TV's that is not being monitored. That will be my form of protest until your company decides to air programs that portray families who value fathers. I will share this correspondence with friends and family and ask that they do the same.

Sincerely,

POC

Waylon

To "[email protected]":

This is a quote from the intro of your show "Meet Mister Mom":

"For most dads, 'man of the house' is more of an honorary title. Give dad a wrench or a carving knife and...well, he still needs lots of supervision. Sure, he'll squeeze a melon, but he has no idea why. Many dads go off to work and leave the tough job to mom--until now."

As a man and a single father, I take great exception to your trivializing of fathers and your portrayal of them as incompetent morons. You have just guaranteed that no one in this household will ever watch your show.

In addition, I'm going to let the people on our website and email list know about your stance on fathers. We get about 4 million page views a month and I expect many, if not all of our members and visitors will feel the same disgust and outrage at your "program" as I do.

-Waylon
Director, Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
//www.DeltaBravo.net
"Keeping Families Connected"
A 501(c)3 Organization

Feel free to email them and tell them how you feel: [email protected]

The trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

SadStepMom

I sent my email, I won't be watching the show, and while they continue to air the show, I won't watch their network.  Of course that won't be difficult since their programming has really gone to the toliet

4honor

That until they pulled the plug on that show (or put on an "all women are gold-digging-bonbon-eating-hookers" show in a comparable time slot)that I would watch their network just long enough to determine who their sponsors were and not only refrain from buying their products, but get all my friends and acquaintances to stop buying them as well.  I have 100 people and they have thousands. It didn't matter whether the product supported that particular show or not.

The sponsors are next.

A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

Kent

... and write down all companies that advertise during the show.

THEN write emails or letters of complaint to NBC, and CC ALL of the advertisers.

I am positive THAT will get their attention.

Kent!

metamorphosis

Also, if you could post a quick list of the sponsors on here so we can all boycott or email them.  I won't have a chance to do it myself.
Thanks!

sheerdark

A divorced mother must have come up with the idea for that show...or one of those Neo-Feminists.  How disgusting it is to continually see Fathers degraded on TV as a less important part of the lives of their children.  Sure, there are some fathers that don't do anything - but you have just as many mothers who do the same...

The world needs to open their eyes to the fact that both parents are important, rather than focusing so much attention on the "default sex" for an involved parent.  Additionally, we should work harder to make the non-existant dads see that men REALLY ARE involved...so that maybe they'll pick up their slack, rather than reinforcing their actions with tv shows and commercials!

DecentDad

Hi, remember that NBC doesn't care about complaints unless you also complain to the sponsors.  Kill the $$, and kill the show.

Sponsors are Glad (trash bags), Clorox, JCPenney, Nissan Quest, and State Farm Insurance.

-------------

Folks,

This show is reminiscent of the stereotype of the 1950s, when fathers knew little about parenting and mothers knew little about anything but parenting.  Is "See Sally Suffer" the next reality show in the pipeline, wherein math problems are given to teenage girls?!

Much of reality TV today is in poor taste, though I think NBC takes the cake this season.  I'm offended as a man and as a father, to have the premise of a show focus on a tiny minority of disconnected dads and essentially represent they stand for all fathers.

I do most of the clothes shopping for my young daughter, coincidentally at JCPenney quite a bit.  On Monday, I will advise JCPenney of my intent to cancel my credit card -- and I'll inform their VP of Consumer Affairs that it's due to their sponsorship of this show.  If JCPenney wishes to support mockery of fathering (i.e., as equally challening and fulfilling as mothering), there are plenty of other retailers.

Similarly, I'll let Clorox and Glad know that my grocery shopping habits will now specifically exclude their brands.

Finally, as all well-informed parents know, the Nissan Quest is only an average minivan; blown away by the overall quality and value of the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.  Not many fathers would consider the Quest, though it's worth mentioning to Nissan that NO good father who watches the show would support Quest sales.

Really poor form on this one.  I'll be spreading the word among colleagues and fellow fathers that NBC is pushing a negative stereotype of fathering, one that ignores the millions of fathers who manage to support the home as well as nurture and help raise the kids.

Sincerely,

FatherTime

CULPRIT #1

NBC:

http://www.nbc.com
http://www.nbc.com/Meet_Mister_Mom/sponsors/

------------------------------------

CULPRIT #2

Glad & Clorox:

http://www.glad.com
http://www.glad.com/meetmistermom/

[email protected]

CULPRIT #3

JCPenney
http://www.jcpenney.com

https://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/frm_generalinquiries.aspx?VID=&Email=&Referer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.jcpenney.com%2fjcp%2fCustomerService.aspx%3fcmResetCat%3dtrue&Subject=General+Inquiries

CULPRIT #4

Nissan

http://www.nissanusa.com/MrMom

** He/She should have made sure that there was a contact for the main company.  He/She gets all the mail. **

Quote from the Nissan Corporate Info:  Community Relations

"Building Community Through Valuing Cultural Diversity
The Nissan Foundation is committed to celebrating and embracing diverse cultural heritages as a means to promote respect for others, ..."

CULPRIT #5

State Farm Insurance

http://www.statefarm.com

*** Side notes on State Farm ***
They base insurance rates on gender too. Not a good idea to go picking on men so blatantly.  They probably have the most to lose from supporting a gender bashing show like Meet Mr. Mom.

They can charge more money based on sex, because the government allows them too. Their auto insurance service is mandated by law. We can't choose an insurance carrier who doesn't discriminate by gender.  They all do it.

How can gender discrimination be mandated by the government?  (Wait .... what am I saying?....I'm a non-custodial father)

--------------------------------------

P.S.

Maybe they could get "David and Goliath" to advertise for the show too.
(from "Boys are Stupid, throw rocks at them" fame)

MYSONSDAD

JCPenney continues to base itself upon the core principles
of value, quality and integrity upon which it was founded.  
Our company has a record of high standards in our approach
to all aspects of retailing, including advertising, and how
and what we communicate to our customers is very important
to us.

We do our best to select quality programming for our
advertising and will continue to do so.  We have established
guidelines, as a matter of policy, regarding commercial
sponsorship. And very specifically, we attempt to avoid
sponsoring programming that would be considered offensive to
the majority of JCPenney customers.  To monitor content, we
employ an outside screening service to preview program
episodes, before airing, for content and subject matter.  

Despite this diligent approach, on rare occasions beyond our
control, our advertising may appear on a particular episode
that may have questionable content.  When this happens, we
take appropriate corrective actions.

We regret any concern we may have caused, and again, thank
you for contacting us.  We appreciate your comments and
feedback, and please know that JCPenney considers important
the opinions of its customers nationwide.  
Thank you for your continued patronage.  We appreciate your
comments and feedback.

JCPenney Corporate Customer Relations
"Children learn what they live"