Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 02:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm curious......why shouldn't women be drafted too?

Started by Brent, Jan 03, 2004, 02:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

I understand what she's saying, and she was polite in her post. I don't think she was trying to make trouble.

My personal take is that the "Fathers Issues" board is open to anything that could be considered a father-related topic. She was saying she didn't see the connection. To me, the Draft is definitely a "fathers issue", but it's not directly divorce related....so I can see where she might not think it's relevant here. I just don't know where else it would go.

I do feel it is an issue of interest to fathers, since they're the only draftable parents, and I thought it might generate some interesting discussion. I think a lot of people think that the board is meant only for divorce related topics, which isn't really the case.

Indigo Mom

-----I understand what she's saying, and she was polite in her post. I don't think she was trying to make trouble. -----

I understand too, Brent.  I also understand the 10 other people in that thread who believe the topic is important.  It's a big thread...obviously those in it find it interesting/important enough to CONTINUE posting in it.  They don't need to be reminded that they're posting in the wrong place.  I think the webdude is the one with the "final say" and I don't think he has a problem with it.  

-----My personal take is that the "Fathers Issues" board is open to anything that could be considered a father-related topic. -----

I agree.  I also know how it feels to be in the middle of Hell. (custody) when you're there, you like to be around other people who've BTDT.  Message boards could NEVER stick to the specific topic because we're humans.  We like to discuss things.  Yes, it's the "fathers issues" board, but to be honest, I wouldn't get mad if someone posted about their grandmother dying.  I've seen it a few times where someone has posted here "because it's the quickets moving board".  You're NEVER going to get "just" fathers issues here.

-----To me, the Draft is definitely a "fathers issue", -----

Yes, I agree.  I also think it's a "human being" issue...one which is clearly important for others to discuss.  

-----so I can see where she might not think it's relevant here. I just don't know where else it would go. -----

IMO...you put it in the right place.  Look at the thread, Mr. B...look how long it's getting!  You couldn't have put it in a better place.

-----I do feel it is an issue of interest to fathers, since they're the only draftable parents, and I thought it might generate some interesting discussion. I think a lot of people think that the board is meant only for divorce related topics, which isn't really the case.-----

It's of interest to quite a few people as you can see.  I find the discussion VERY interesting, and have read each post.  I don't know a whole lot about the subject, so this one I'm staying out of.  But...it's good discussion.  

This board serves it's purpose.  So do all the others.  Even with all the stupid shit posted, with all the jokes, the craziness...this is still the best site for NCP's.  (imo...which clearly doesn't matter)

Davy

I agree that the posts were becoming convulted as is usual with the other poster.  If you had experienced 'the draft' along with the dreadful combat and all of it's social ills you would probably agree that my posts were pretty much on target and I was addressing the issues softly.

The reference to Canada resulted from the chilling anti-American  remark from the other poster to 'move to Canada'  in a response to whether or not a draft is merely 'involuntary servitude'.  Not only did that smart-ass remark not respond to the issue it was also VERY disrespectful to all that died, left disabled or served along with all their loved ones in any war .... it's a long list of those impacted.

BTW I have a car bought from some long time friends (from Canada).
The car has a DoD parking sticker from the Naval Academy that I guaranteed to them would not be removed.  Their son is your age and a Marine captain pilot and has flown in Iraq.

VeronicaGia

I meant to reply to this the other day, but got bogged down in the responses.

First, I don't think anyone should have to sign up for any draft.  I don't think 18 year old males or femals should have to sign up for any type of military.  And, call me old fashioned, but I don't think women should be in combat (actually, I'd like to see a world without combat, but apparently that's not possible).  However, since women are eligible for the military, they need to take equal responsibility.  Personally, I think it should be mandatory that women prove they are on birth control during their military run.  Pregnancy is no excuse....what's fair is fair....yea, right.

Davy

MK...it is hard to speak of these things and I fondly appreciate your sensitivity and insights.  

About the offensive terms including the 'move to Canada' to avoid the draft.  It has been my experience that Nam vets, like their WWII counterparts, seldom if every speak of their combat experiences because it is "unspeakable" and "undescribeable"....the sights, the sounds, the smell......  Anyway, I have heard combat vets use offensive terms (a few times) mostly out of pure frustation and anger.  Here is my very strong opinion...they can use those terms because they EARNED the right to do so and they mean no disrespect to their fallen comrades.  
I think it to be the upmost of disrespect toward the soldier and his loved ones for ANYBODY else to use those terms.  As a wife, mother, sister or brother you have that right !  It is one of those unwritten rules of a civilized society.  

I still see their faces ...their laughter ....  

It is alarming to hear the voices of those that did not experience "the
 draft and war" as we knew it.  What social engineering !!!!  

sweetnsad

Well, just so you know, I am not anti-American...I applaud America's efforts to defend their's and our freedom.  I have quite a few relatives in the states and have visited there once....It's an impressive country.

I wish there was more that our Canadian troops could do...we are a small bunch, but mighty!  

And as I've said before, I'm young and not familiar with alot of the drafting procedures and war, but I commend all the men and women that have fought and either lived or died for us.

MKx2

Davy, I have to agree with you on that point - if you didn't live it, it is exceptionally difficult to relate in the same manner as those who DID live it.  Certainly we can "imagine" what it would have been like, but to live the emotions, the fear, the anger ... no one knows until they've been there, experienced the loss, felt the pain and anger of a good friend.

It took me a long time to understand why my Dad wouldn't speak of his war experiences (Master Sargeant, US Army, Paratrooper [OSS]).  It took me living through my experiences to understand it.

Regardless of the government wrongs in any of these combat zones, my heartfelt thanks will always be with our men and women in the Armed Services.

StPaulieGirl

About the offensive terms including the 'move to Canada' to avoid the draft.

[p]I find it very offensive that some fled to Canada to avoid the draft.  I find the act of running for the border while your friends and family do their duty, the very definition of offensive.  the most offensive example is Bill Clinton.  He didn't run to Canada, he just went AWOL.  And he got away with it.  Sweet.  Have any pissy comments about that?

[p]Guess what Davy, there are vets who want to let it out.  Usually after a sixpack or a couple of joints.  No, I haven't smoked pot in years.  With my ex's friends, I believe they got angry while we were watching a documentary on tv and let it rip.  I remember sitting there going, damn...One guy said how he went into a liquor store in a CA community and saw a Viet Cong flag decorating a wall.  He's lucky he wasn't arrested.  Years later and they still hurt.  I take that seriously.

[p]I meant no disrespect, and you know it Davy.  If I were a male you wouldn't even make an issue over my comments.  Another one of the unwritten rules of society, is to hide your prejudice and hatred, and either ignore or address the issues at hand....regardless of the posters sex, race, creed, or academic credentials.  Can you do that?

PS: MK wanted to let me know that what I said hurt her.  I apologized and I meant it.  You hijacked our conversation to take a dig at me.  I find that extremely offensive, not only to me but MK.

Davy

As usual your post was filled with lies, manipulations, attempts at creating division, false accussations, OT matters, harrazzing, provoking, etc, etc etc.

You still refuse to consider 'the draft' as involuntary servitude even though you were not there and were a little little girl still trying to learn the alphabet at the time.  

Now you say you find it very offensive that some fled to Canada to avoid the draft.  It is somewhat inconceivable among decent people for anyone to make the comment in the first place and then quickly reverse yourself in such a short time frame.

"Clinton" ... why on earth bring forth such a name ...in matters resulting in many deaths and disabilities, emotional pain and suffering to so many.

And you say there are vets that want to get it out usually after a six pack and / or a joint... please please don't reguritate the made-for-TV version. Try to understand all the ramifications of those years the draft was in place.  You may get a gimpse if you visited a military or VA  hospital today then muliplied by thousands.  Go visit a mother or father whose son was drafted and never returned then go find somebody that filled out a postcard but was never called.  You may be very surprised !!

And then you throw in the following :
"I meant no disrespect, and you know it Davy. If I were a male you wouldn't even make an issue over my comments. Another one of the unwritten rules of society, is to hide your prejudice and hatred, and either ignore or address the issues at hand....regardless of the posters sex, race, creed, or academic credentials. Can you do that? "

SPG..you have no standing to define me or anyone else.  I certainly can and do stand on my own merits alongside any de-merits most of which I am proud.  I certainly do not have to justify myself but just last night I was in the home of an ex-Marine with his Chinese wife trying to get him to put on his chaps and do his gay thing sitting next to one of my best black friends and across the table from his Hispanic wife.  On the other side of me was my white OBGYN (reserve colonel) and his white wife.
The colonel does a great impression of oatmeal with his face.  My sons are both bilinqual and I have two black grand children.  At least two present had not graduated from high school.  My friends are pretty much equally divided between female and males.  Since you think you know so much would you like to take a wild ass guess at my sex, race, creed or academic credentials.  I've had no sex change operations (and never will) so you might get one right.  Otherwise, I have friends in  very low places with high egoes and very high places with very low egoes...just like me on any given day.

I'm noticed you responded positively to a female when advised of her hurt of losing her husband.

Go ahead and continue to make a fool of yourself but try hard to get over your penis envy.

StPaulieGirl

Get help.

I will address the penis envy comment, though.  I like penises, especially when it's attached to my bf.