Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Father already gave up Rights!!

Started by roddenbj, Jan 04, 2004, 11:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddenbj

My fiance already gave up his rights. He was told by his Ex-wife that it was due to medical reasons for the children. Her new Husband is in the Army and she stated that the children would have full benefits from the Army if he is able to adopt them. She then stated that she was going to make the last name the fathers-the adopted fathers. I believe that my fiance was conned into this and we really need to know if there is anyway out. The children live in a different state then where the paperwork was drawn for the resignation of rights. Does he still have a chance to get his rights back? His daughter wants to be with him and he has no leg to stand on without rights to that child!

Please Help Someone!!!!!!

nosonew

Questions:
1. How long ago did this occur?  
2. How old is the child now/then?
3.  What on earth was he thinking?
4. Were you with him at this time?
5. Does he still have contact with the kids, if so, what, how much?

Thanks, this will help answer your previous question.

roddenbj

>Questions:
>1. How long ago did this occur?  not even a year ago
>2. How old is the child now/then? child was 12 now 13
>3.  What on earth was he thinking? he was conned into thinking he was doing a good thing for his daughter cause her stepfather is in the military and hw was told that she couldn't receive full benefits if he didn't adopt her.
>4. Were you with him at this time? yes, but I was scepticle, it was his decision, not mine, we did not find out about this till it was too late.
>5. Does he still have contact with the kids, if so, what, how
>much? Actually, Yes. She just visited us for a week and we found out that she never wanted to be adopted under the terms that had happened, she was lied to too. She still wanted her fathers last name and she was told by the mother that her dad would still have rights to her and she would be able to see him. The only thing that the mother did do was let them see each other. Now the daughter wants to live with us cause her mother forces her to call the other man in her life daddy and the daughter is not wanting to cause she feels she already has a daddy.
>
>Thanks, this will help answer your previous question.

gipsy

Soc's board answers legal questions

Indigo Mom

1st of all, how long ago did he give up his rights?  I know there have been a few adoptions overturned years after they took place.  It wasn't easy or cheap.  

I don't know what to say about this one....cept that poor sap needs a REALLY good lawyer to pull him out of this one!!!!

roddenbj

I am new at this, so if you can please help me out. I do not know where to go.

StPaulieGirl

Okay, the child still has contact with her dad?  That's good.  Listen-  she's already 13. In 5 years she will be a legal adult, and can change her name back to her original last name.  Her mother is nuts trying to make a teenager call a stepfather daddy, when she has a living father.  I would talk to an attorney about the legality of the adoption.

Besides that stuff, can you both provide the same medical coverage, etc, that her stepfather's military benefits cover?

Kitty C.

Click on 'Top' at the top left-hand corner of this page, scroll down to 'Dear Socrateaser' and click on that.  That is the forum of our resident legal guru.  On his first page there is a link to the 'Mandatory posting guidelines', read that first before you post.  The reason for the guidelines is to allow Soc to answer and help as many people as possible as quickly as he can, since he's doing this ALL free to us!
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......