Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:41:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is a child's live worth only $ 40,000.00?

Started by Kent, Feb 02, 2006, 08:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON (AP) -- Andrea Yates left jail early Thursday for a state mental hospital where she will await her second capital murder trial for the drowning deaths of her young children.

Yates' attorney posted her $200,000 bond, releasing her from incarceration for the first time since the five children were drowned in the family bathtub in June 2001.

$ 200,000.00 ??? That's $ 40,000.00 per child ???  Drown her too, it would a) be justice, and b) save the taxpayers a lot of money. [/I]

State District Judge Belinda Hill set the bond Wednesday.

Yates, 41, didn't speak as she left the jail. She carried a brown paper sack and wore jeans and a blue-and-white striped shirt as she entered a car with her attorney and a private investigator for the drive to the mental hospital.

Her attorney, George Parnham, said he would answer questions after returning Yates to East Texas, where she previously spent more than three years at a prison psychiatric unit.

The judge said she couldn't order Yates to commit herself to the Rusk State Hospital, but said she set the bond based on Yates remaining there until her March 20 trial. Once the trial begins, Yates will return to the Harris County Jail. The trial is expected to last four to six weeks.

Yates faces capital murder charges for drowning three of the children and has pleaded innocent by reason of insanity.

A jury rejected her original insanity defense in 2002 and sentenced her to life in prison for the drowning of 7-year-old Noah, 5-year-old John and 6-month-old Mary. Prosecutors presented evidence about the drownings of Paul, 3, and Luke, 2, but Yates was not charged in their deaths.

Kboeds

The whole thing is sickening to me!!!!!

She knows she did it, her husband knows she did it (and is just as guilty as she is in my opinion) the cops know she did it, the lawyers know she did it, the jury knows she did it. Why the heck is there even a trial????

The insanity plea??????

DUH!!!!! Of course she is insane!!!! No sane person would have drown their children!!! Does that mean you get away with it just cause you say, If I'm crazy enough to kill my kids I shouldn't be held accountable.
No-one is questioning her sanity... At least not me!!

KB