Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 04:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

mom wants to move out of state

Started by Jeff2121, Feb 12, 2006, 04:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff2121

TN dad, I have two questiones: For about a year and a half I have been keeping my kids (13 and 14) most of the time, however; I have been also paying child support to my ex wife (she has custody). I know this may seem strange but it it all started when my ex wife decided to go to nursing school about a year and half ago. I was asked by her to keep the kids more often while she attended school, and I thought that is great, I get to spend more time with my kids. Please keep in mind I have no problem paying child support I have always finacial supported my kids. October 2005 she started working full time as a nurse. By now she might see the kids 1 or 2 days a week, usally sunday morning and wed. night for church. I started ducumenting how much time they spend with me and how much time they spend with there mother. I know TN laws recently changed that child support is based on both parents income and how much time they spend with each parent. My kids are spending most of there time with me now, I dont want to rock the boat with her, because I enjoy all the extra time with my kids. She could cut me off from them and go back to every other weekend if I try to re-adjust child support. Now she is thinking of moving out of state, her husband has a new job offer. What can I do to stop her from moving my kids out of the state of TN, it appears that she would be in violation of my visitation. The kids seem excided about moving, they are not thinking about what it will be like after the move has been made. There is no family or friends. Please advise

Jeff

Brent

Fight this tooth and nail!!

Recent Case Law On Relocation Of The Custodial Parent
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/moving3.php

Preventing Domestic Move-Aways
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/moving.php

Preparing For A 'Move-Away' Or Custody Battle
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/moveaway.php

Visitation FAQ - 16. My ex is threatening to move away with our child. Can he/she do this?
http://www.deltabravo.net/faq/visit_ans16.php

Also document EVERYTHING, especially the time you've spent with your children, as far back as you can. One of the first things you'll hear around here is "Document, document, document!". Having good records is *crucial*. Get yourself either the Parenting Time Tracker (PTT) on this site or the OPTIMAL Custody Tracking service. The PTT is good, but the OPTIMAL site is more comprehensive.

Kent

If the children have been with you this much for 18 months, then you have "significant change in circumstances", and can file for a change of custody.

However, with the kids being 13 and 14, their wishes will weigh heavily in court. If they want to go with BM, then you won't gain custody, and she will be allowed to move.

It is your responsibility to inform them what the move means to their relationship with you and their friends. Be sure to not try and influence them, as this usually backfires.

Kent!

Jeff2121

Thanks, for the advise, my boys told me that they told his BM that if she moved that they were staying with me.  She told the boys based on there feelings about the move, that they would not move.  

I have advised the boys to be causes when thay are at ther mothers for unusal boxes and any kind of evidence on packing.  She could have very well lied to them and they show up from school with a packed u-haul and leave unanouced.  

I have decieded to obtain a lawyer about this issue.  All of this is very preliminary and is recently come to surface, I just dont want to rock the boat to hard.  However, I do want to be perpared if the sistuation woresons.  

gipsy

something that played a good psychological deterrant for me was , I told my son I would sell my house then  move in next door if they moved , and the games stopped, the thing is , I would have if they did !/