Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 08:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unrecorgnized Father

Started by ayuke, Mar 22, 2006, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayuke

I found out 2 years ago that I am the father to twins.  I took the parternity test through the state and I am paying child support now.  I am also paying on back child support.  The kids do not have my last name and I would like them to since I am the father.  I don't mind them having her name in there too but I would like to add my last name.  Also right now I keep them every other weekend but I don't think the state is aware of that.  how do I bring visiblity to what I am doing so that I am legally recorgnized as a responsible father.  That way if the need be I can prove it.  

The Mother allows me to take them when I want to.  But I am from a different country and in the future I will like to get them intouch with that culture by visiting.  I don't think I can do that as she will not agree.

Any Advise will be helpful.

CustodyIQ

Given that the state has already recognized you as the father, then you just file for custody/visitation now.

Go for joint legal custody, and propose a schedule close to what you two have been doing with the kids.

Be sure to have clauses for holiday time, vacation time, decision-making, etc.  Typically, holidays alternate between parents, and each parent has some summer vacation.

Don't mention travel at this point.  Secure your vacation time, and then later either get the mother to agree to international travel or ask the court for permission at that time.

ayuke

Thanks for all the information.  This really helps.  I did not know where to begin.  I am glad I found this site.

reagantrooper

Keep your mouth SHUT for now. Continue to spend the time she "lets" you have and DOCUMENT every second you have your kids. Take pictures with new papers in the for date confirmation etc. This is to develop president.

Most inportantly dont even think or talk about taking them kids out of the country to anyone. To do so will sink your ship for sure.

wendl

Make sure when doing your parenting/visitation plan that you are very specific in the times/dates you have the child.  Also remember to look to the future for when the kids start school etc.

Document all the time and dates you have had and are having with the kids.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**