Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 08:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hopefully a sign of things to come...........

Started by Kitty C., Jul 17, 2006, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty C.

Teen Sues L.A. After Decade in Foster Care

Teenage Girl Reunited With Her Long-Lost Father After Decade in Foster Care Sues L.A. County

The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES - A teenage girl reunited with her father last year after a decade in foster care is suing Los Angeles County for taking so long to bring them together.

County supervisors had said in September that the reunion of Melinda Smith, now 17, and father Thomas Marion Smith was the result of a "groundbreaking effort," and congratulated county agencies for locating the father.

But the lawsuit alleges that the Department of Children and Family Services failed to use "due diligence" to locate Thomas Smith. It claims the agency never notified Smith, who had continued making child support payments, that his daughter was in foster care and never gave him a chance to claim her.

"He's a registered voter with a valid driver's license and an open child support case," said Smith's attorney, L. Wallace Pate. "All they had to do, at any time during those 10 years, was pick up the phone and ask the L.A. County Child Support Services Department: `Do you have a contact on this man?'"

Beginning in 1989, Thomas Smith made child support payments to Melinda's mother for his 1-year-old daughter, but when Melinda was 4 her mother moved and left no forwarding address.

Two years later, Melinda was turned over to foster care officials after the county received complaints of abuse.

Smith's whereabouts were listed as unknown in court documents on the case, although records show that Melinda's caseworker knew Smith was paying child support and his address was on file with the agency that collected the payments.

Father and daughter were reunited in July 2005 after Melinda got help from a social worker assigned to find permanent placement for teens in foster care.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from the county, the social workers who handled the case and a private agency that provides attorneys for children in foster care.

County officials would not comment because of the pending litigation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMO, I'd like to see a LOT more of these lawsuits............maybe then the idiots in those so-called government positions will start taking fathers more seriously!  Melinda, you GO, girl!    :-)
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

MYSONSDAD

I saw this too and sent it to Diane Sawyer at Primetime. She did a story on Foster care about a month back. If more of their workers would make that "one call", their facilities would not be near so full and children would have nurturing from their bioligical parent.

I wonder how many fathers out there, who have not seen or heard from their children, ever thought to contact foster care agencies. Maybe someone should start a hotline. Another suggestion presented to Diane, among others.

Good to see you here, been awhile....

"Children learn what they live"

Giggles

Thankfully for him it was only about 6 months.  His kids were put in Foster care because their SF was sexually abusing them.  Social Services never tried to contact him AT ALL!!  Eventhough he had an active CS case!!  They claimed they didn't know where he was...BS!!  He lived in another state, dropped everything and moved to OR to get his kids.  Took him nearly 2 years and several THOUSANDS of dollars later...he was finally awarded custody!!

I'm going to send him this article...perhaps he could do the same??
Now I'm living....Just another day in Paradise!!

Kitty C.

Good to be back once in a while......not too often anymore that I can spend any time here.  Things have really turned around with DH and BM...she's actually NICE now!  And we're seeing SS more than we ever have before...EVERY weekend!  Guess her going thru another divorce has cooled her heels and she had finally 'seen the light', so to speak.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......