Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 02:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can we talk to daughters therapist?

Started by WhatToDo, Oct 04, 2006, 07:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatToDo

My fiance's daughter is seeing a therapist. Is it legal for him to talk to his daughters therapist about what she's saying to her and what his daughter is saying to the therapist? If so, how can we go about this? The mother has said that the therapist is giving her all these "recommendations" all which work against my fiance's relationship with his daughter. He would like to tell this therapist his side since we know the mother is not being truthful to the therapist. What can he do?

Sherry1

without the BM's permission or by court order.  We were told by the therapist (psychologist) that the conversations were considered doctor/client privileged.

WhatToDo

That seems wrong to me. It's his daughter too and they share joint custody. His ex would never give permission for him to find out what is being said. I just don't understand why she gets to have all the power. Not fair!

Sherry1

shared extremely limited information.  The therapist could not release anything that involved any of the other family members which would again violate patient/doctor privilege.

The best you can do is to file with the courts to have access to these records.

WhatToDo

we will probably do that then. He would jsut really like to talk to the therapist and show her that he's not the bad guy that his ex is making him out to be. His ex and his daughter see the same therapist. Is it okay for his to schedule a meeting with the therapist just for him to talk to? Not ask what his ex and his daughter are saying...but just be able to talk to the therapist so maybe the therapist can make better "recommendations" when she hopefully realizes that his ex is full of crap? (haha)

Sherry1

WhatToDo

ocean

I would just make an appointment with her and then you have an hour to tell your side (be careful and not bad mouth mom). Then I would ask therapist to start making some appointments with Sd and dad so they can work on any issues that seems to be coming up.
Good luck!

WhatToDo

We of course wouldn't bad mouth the mom  but I really think, for the therapist to be making these recommendations on how my fiance's daughter should be raised, she needs to know who my fiance' really is. For example, the custody order states that I need to supervise all visits (don't know why. She hadn't ever even talked to me when she put that in the visitation order) So the last time we got to see his daughter, he took her on the 4-wheeler. I of course couldn't sit on the 4 wheeler with him. I was watching him and his daughter from our deck or from inside the house, looking out the window. He stayed on our property (we have 20 acres) or close to it where me and both my parents could always see him. Anyway, his ex emailed him and said that "It came to her attention, that he was not supervised during this visit and that we were both in contempt." She said that she talked to the therapist and the therapist said that in order for us to see his daughter, we should go to a Visitation Center or his ex would also allow us to sit in her home for a period of 4 hours. She said that her therapists agreed that this was the only SAFE alternative. My fiance' has never put his daughter in danger and never would. He has never done anything wrong to this child but his ex has these therapists obviously thinking he is going to hurt his daughter. Now that we're going to go to court over this, I don't want her getting her therapist up there to testify against him without ever meeting him and finding out what is REALLY going on. I have found the therapist and will have my fiance' call her. I hope we can work something out with her. His ex previously had told us that she wanted all of us to meet with the therapist once we moved here, but now his ex won't talk to us. We seem to be hitting all brick walls.

reagantrooper

The mom and Daughter see the same wacko theripst?! WOW!

The Dad needs to demand that this "theripst" remove herself from the case NOW. He needs to settle for nothing less. It can be done, he needs to fight for his and his Daughter rights.

Dont let this theripsit call the shots. If the Dad has JFC and there is NOT a CO that bars Dad from this info  then dad has every right to any and  all reports, notes etc etc etc from the theripist. Dont expect this theripst to just hand over this stuff he will have to fight for it.