Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 04:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

can you believe this!

Started by WhatToDo, Oct 05, 2006, 02:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatToDo

So...we sent a letter to my fiance's daughters school asking for her records, etc. Today my fiance' calls the school to find out what was going on...were they going to give him access to her school stuff and whatnot. So the guy he talked to says

"Your daughter only comes here for music and P.E. The rest of the time she is homeschooled. I called *mom* to ask her about all this when I got your letter. She got really upset and said that 'Maybe *daughter* won't be going to those classes anymore."

This call happened yesterday(the 4th).

And guess what? His daughter didn't go to school today(the 5th)! His ex is doing everything possible to keep him from getting any info about his daughter. This is rediculous. How is taking his daughter out of school, in the best interest of the child?

ocean

I would next call the district office and see if BM filed any paperwork to homeschool her. Depends on the state what they require the parent to do. Here the district requires the parent that homeschools to give a written agenda (curriculum). Then they check periodically to see if they are abiding to it. See what your state requires...(can you probably also call the state-deartment of ed or go to their website) If they do reuire any of this, see if the disrtict will give you copies.
BM does not work? How old is child? If daughter is over 5 and not being taught at home, you can go after educational neglect.

WhatToDo

My fiance's daughter is 6.

BM supposedly runs a daycare. She has a website and it says she will only take 6 full time kids and that she has full time openings. SO I'm assuming she doesn't have many enrolled in her daycare. But even if she does, how does this work? I don't see how she can homeschool her daughter and run a daycare.

And I was wondering if there was any way to find out her progress in her homeschooling. I will check with the district office and see if anyone can give me an advice on the matter.

The lengths some people go to is rediculous. She keeps saying that all this is in the best interest of their daughter. Taking her daughter out of her extra curricular activities in school,just to keep my fiance' further out of the picture, is definately not in the best interest of their daughter...

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what we can find...

ocean

Many people homeschool but if she is home all day with infants in a "daycare" I think you have a case.
How is the child when she is with you? Can she write her name, count, read at all? Is she suppose to be in Kindergarten or 1st grade? Some states do not require kindergarten....IF she finished Kindergarten, then I would mention that to the school, and they can go after her. You did say that child was going to school only for 2 things (Gym) then she must have filled the requirements for her to homeschool (?).

WhatToDo

His daughter is actually really smart. She can write her name and can count and is above average when it comes to reading. BUT, she didn't start homeschooling her until this year. She's now in first grade. I'm afraid that all the progress she made in kindergarten will be lost now that she's at home. There just doesn't seem to be a way to effectively homeschool a child while running a daycare.

wysiwyg

I was under the impression that homeschooled children had to go by the states curriculum guidelines and cover the topics and instructions per the state, additionally I had thought that the person conducting the homeschool had to devise a schedule or plan and present it to the DOE for approval or something to that effect, along with attendance etc.  I could be wrong so do not take my word for it.  Search the DOE in your state for homeschool laws.  

If BM has a FT daycare - I would get the info from the DOE and see if you can find out what and how she plans on teaching with a FT day care.  Makes me wonder if she is complying with the DOE homeschool regulations if she is not complying with day care regulations either.

just my 2 cents to think on.