Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 09:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unmarried Fathers Rights

Started by KKJ995, Nov 15, 2006, 07:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KKJ995

I'm a little confused with this response...would you mind clarifying what you are saying?
Did I misunderstand something?

Sherry1

would likely cost upwards of $20,000-$100,000.  Sole custody means that your stepson would have sole & legal physical custody.  The child would live with him.  Basically, your stepson would be removing the child from it's mother, with her having only visitation rights.

Going to court to establish parentage, child support and visitation is usually a routine process that doesn't require a lot of lawyer's times.  Basically, he would ask for joint custody, probably with the mother having physical custody.  He would having parenting times established.  You mentioned that the mother has a different child from a different man.  You do realize your stepson has no rights to this child, visitation, child support or otherwise?

Ref

Just for some reference. Dh spent about $3,500 for a modification in visitation (he had a pricey but good attorney). This included the attorney filing the papers, communicating w/ ex (she was pro se), and mediation costs. It never went to trial. It would have cost about $600 - $1,000 more if it went to court. This also included spiteful BM filing for an increase in support and having to work that out.

Ref

dadinva2006

DV is domestic violence. She claimed I was abusive towards her in our relationship (it was the other way around), she tried to say she was worried for our daughter's safety and that I may become abusive towards her.
The outcome of my case was certainly not the norm. I asked for primary physical, joint legal, change in meeting place from her town to a midway point and I received everything I asked for. Most fathers are far from this lucky. I had a wonderful judge who went by the best interest of the child standards. BM screwed herself on the stand by getting caught up in lies. The main reasons I won custody:
-Stability (of home and job)
-BM had repeatedly refused me contact with our daughter for months (I had emails as evidence), judge did not like this
-BM had frequent males in her life
Tell your son to begin keeping a daily journal. Also to communicate with BM through emails and certified letters to document his attempts to see his children.

KKJ995

I don't know if I am in the right forum to ask this question but I am going to ask any way.  

How do you choose a good attorney?  You want to make sure they are going to represent you to the best of their ability, but how can you check them out when you dont want to waste time looking around?

Does anyone have some good ideas, advice or suggestions?

Thank you.

Brent

Take a look at these:

Hiring An Effective Attorney
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/effective.php

How To Hire An Attorney
http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/hiring.php

Hi all. :)

KKJ995

I and my ss understand tht he has no rights with her oldest child, but he is going to ask for visitation with her.  He has no intention of seeking custody of her, just his own 2 daughters.

Thank you.

KKJ995

These are extremely helpful!  Thank you very much!

cajunragin

Good luck! I wish I could tell you! We have had 3 different attorneys, all referred by friends, an dstill have not had justice in our situation. Matter of fact, we are still looking, while trying Pro Se once again. Each of the 3 we had, talked a HUGE talk, got their check, and then sat quietly in the judges chambers. One even signed the appeal by my husband's ex, and didn't tell us about it. The judge showed my husband the appeal, asked if he had seen it, and said it was unethical for the previous attorney to sign for it without informing us of it. It's crazy! We have been battling for over 5 years now, mainly money and uninterrupted visitation. If anyone knows any REALLY good attorneys in the Pensacola Area, please email me or reply! Any help is greatly appreciated!