Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Indiana-21 year olds emancipation

Started by unhappystepmom, Jan 17, 2007, 09:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistoffolees

Is there a site somehwere where you can post feedback on your attorney? There seem to be a lot of crappy attorneys out there and it would be helpful if there were a way to avoid them.

Similarly, my attorney is fantastic. I'd be happy to direct people to her (but probably not until my case is over since she's extremely busy and doesn't need any more clients IMHO).

unhappystepmom

If anyone knows of such a site, I would love to hear about it!  We were referred to this law firm by a reputable person that has business legal dealings with them.   Unfortunately, I don't think the firm is so good at family law!

This is the first time we have had to engage an attorney.  We didn't know if they were all this way or if we got a bad one.  Do attorney's normally offer an initial free consultation?  We have already dumped WAY too much money into this one.  We're kind of nervous about getting another involved.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

mistoffolees

Some attorneys offer an initial free consultation, but not all. My experience is limited, but I don't believe there's any correlation between those who offer free consultation and how good they are.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ones who charge you for the first consultation are the busiest ones (who don't need new business as much), although I certainly couldn't provide evidence to support that.

My attorney is absolutely fantastic and she charged me $350 for the initial consultation. It was money well spent.

Ref

but I used this site to find the attorney for DH.
http://www.martindale.com/

It has peer ratings which, I think you should not depend on. BM's attorney was terrible and she had the same rating as DH's attorney who was very good.

You can find ones with concentrations in Family law and preferably Father's rights. I wouldn't recommend using a business lawyer for family law issues.

Many have free consultations.

Good luck!
Ref

wysiwyg

Indiana

Termination of support at 21 or emancipation

Ind. Code § 31-16-6-2 provides that a child support order may include sums for the child's education at institutions of higher learning, where appropriate. 2001 Ind. Acts, P.L. # 171 provides that excess proceeds of a forfeited child support, custody or visitation order bond must be applied toward the child's higher education or to the child's support and maintenance.

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/cyf/educate.htm

mistoffolees

You're right about peer ratings. Some attorneys seem to spend more time trying to earn awards than to do their job.

My stbx's attorney, for example, has a number of big awards on his web site, but he's done some incredibly stupid things - some of which may cost his client dearly (once everything's over, I'll be able to discuss them).