Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 11:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Parental rights for a teen father

Started by teenfather, Mar 08, 2007, 01:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teenfather

My son is about to become a teen father.  Because of both parents ages we are have been warned to expect problems and told that as soon as the baby is born we need to file for joint custody so the mother can't use the baby everytime she gets mad at my son. My question is how do we do this.

Sherry1

and visitation order put in place.  Your son has zero rights, none whatsoever and he will never have any rights until paternity is established and an order put in place.

tamnter

Hi I am in your same position. Have you had any luck for your son? My son's girlfriend just gave birth and her family has totally cut us off. won't even talk to us on the phone. we are not poor, but really don't have money for an attorney.  Boy, this is hard isn't it? If you need someone to talk to I do too.

tamnter

Hi I am in your same position. Have you had any luck for your son? My son's girlfriend just gave birth and her family has totally cut us off. won't even talk to us on the phone. we are not poor, but really don't have money for an attorney. Boy, this is hard isn't it? If you need someone to talk to I do too.

mistoffolees

There are legal aid services. Find one who will take your case (check your phone book or local welfare office for where to get started). Also, many attorneys do some pro bono (free) work.

Do not attempt to do this on your own. You need a competent attorney. While it is possible, in principle, to do this on your own, you'll neeed to spend countless hours learning the law, preparing the case, and you'll STILL make mistakes. My view is that it's better to work every free hour you have to come up with the money for an attorney to get it done right.

wendl

My ex was a teem father.

He needs to establish paternity 1st thru the courts.

He needs to file for a visitation order (don't let mom say he cannot see child because she is breastfeeding she can pump--I did so my son could go to his father and grandparents)  When doing a parenting plan remember to plan ahead for the future when the child reaches school age etc.  Go online to the school district and look at their vacation schedules XMAS, Spring break, mid winter break, summer, thanksgiving, easter. Think about everything, educational decisions, religious decisions etc.

Child support will be established, he if is minor it will probably be like $25 a month (at least that is what they ordered my ex)

Keep receipts for everything, do not give her CASH.  Keep a log of times he has tried to contact child and was able to and not able to. Start a log or a journal.

If she pushes supervised visitation, he wants to try to have it so one of his parents can supervise the visits.

Have him enroll in infant/child cpr class and parenting classes.

Hope this helps a little.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**