Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Child support and visitation issues

Started by soap, Mar 19, 2007, 03:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soap

I am in the middle of a nasty battle with my son's Grandmother who has custody of my son. First of all she cut off my visits without just cause.Second I know for a fact that the money I pay for child support is not going to my son.I have very little money for myself so I cannot afford a lawyer at this time,can anyone steer me in the right direction here? I miss my son and would like to see him.

mistoffolees

I would suggest that you either find a free attorney (Legal aid), one who will work pro bono, or find a way to get an attorney.

While some people do this pro se, I think it's a mistake in all but a few cases. Use the time you'd spend researching and preparing filings, etc to take a second job. Quit smoking. Sell your attic contents on eBay. Do whatever it takes. Your chances are much, much better with a good lawyer.

Without knowing the story, I would think that the courts would generally prefer for a child to be with his father than with his grandmother. If you don't have any hidden skeletons and if the son hasn't been there too long, you should have a chance of prevailing. If you do, of course, you shouldn't be paying child support after that (you may even be entitled to collect support if the boy's mother is in the picture somewhere).

But without more details as to why your son is with the grandmother and why you're trying for custody now and what the timeline looks like, it's impossible to say.