Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: college expence  (Read 911 times)


  • New Arrival
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
college expence
« on: Apr 15, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
I was ordered by the state of missouri to pay half of my sons college expences and tuition. I keep getting bills rom his motherin  the state of Nebrasa  for Inrollment fee housing fee. She sends me copies of the bills but I paid one twice because it was worded different and the copy not complete. I found out by looking it up un the UNL web site. My question is how do I know what a needed expence is and what is not . The university sates that a car is not needed because of public transportation . Parking permit, Football tickets, Expences?
I also can not get acopy of what his has gotten for scholarships, grants. And what hehas applied for in student loans will I have to pay the loan amount?


  • Sr. Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1697
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: college expence
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »
There's probably no simple answer, but I would believe that:

1. Tuition, books, lab fees, and reasonable room and board are reasonable if his college is a distance from home. If he's close to home, I would drop room and board and add transportation expenses (car and parking). I would not include football tickets nor would I include parking unless it's necessary (such as if he's commuting).

2. From that total, I would subtract any scholarships and grants. I would insist on a letter from the student authorizing you to get access to his account so you can verify all amounts for yourself. I would not rely on her providing the forms - get them directly from the school. It is reasonable for you to require them to authorize the school to give you this information. Of course, if they refuse to provide that authorization, you'll have to choose to either pay anyway or go back to court.

3. You would owe half the difference. If he takes out loans, you would owe half the cost of the loans (including interest) plus half of any expenses not covered by loans.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.