Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 06:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Special Circumstances" Tripled my CS Amount - Help!!

Started by Gringo55, May 01, 2007, 01:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gringo55

I am a non-custotial father living in Virginia.

My ex and daughter live in Puerto Rico.

I earned less than $40K in 2000 - 2006.

The court awarded my ex $1100 cash payment PLUS insurance coverage ($130) for my 10 year old.

I went to the Virginia CS website and found that according the Commonwealth, I should pay about $450 maxium with my income and my ex's income.

My daughter is an albino.
Other than being sensitive to the sun and near-sighted, she is 100% like any other girl her age.
My ex is milking the fact that my daughter is an albino to get "special circumstances" added to my payment.

She claims she pays $650 per month on medical for my daughter and the court did not ask for any proof!!

I want to support my daughter and be apart of her life, but I also have remarried and barely can pay the rent with a CS payment of $1100 PLUS $500 for back ares.

HELP!!

On a side note, my daughter was born in the US, does she get any different treatment or rights?
The PR judge told her, "we protect our Puertorican children and make sure they get the proper support".  

She is a US citizen, NOT only Puertorican.

notnew

I advise you to beg and borrow to get the money to retain an attorney famaliar with international type of situations like this one to handle this for you.

If your case is based in Puerto Rico, then the CS guidelines they have there are what they go by. Virginia law doesn't make a difference. The court that is holding the jurisdiction of the case is the one that matters.

I would ask for a review with an attorney. You need the back up to show that your insurance will cover any medical issues due to the child being albino. The fact that she is albino should not hinder her in any way. There are successful and famous albino people all over the world. Crazy. I know courts in other countries treat CS and such very differently then we do.

Good luck.