Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 06:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yeah, I won..what next?

Started by orais007, Jun 14, 2007, 05:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orais007

I just got both joint physical and legal custody of my girls through mediation, (apparently the stbx decided her time with her current boyfriend could not be bothered with children) they see their mother from 8pm till 6:30am Sun, Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat, she has them one whole day on the weekend. Sad to say they only see their mother 1 hr a night before she tucks them in bed. They are with me or grandmother, during the days or weekend.
My question is, should the stbx realize the mistake she made by signing off on her daughters, what are my rights, how long will it take from when(or if) she files before the courts do a modification, or will they modify it just because her relationship didn't work out. What are my chances that no modification will be made?
I live in CA so when it comes to a mother, in most cases (unless she does what the stbx did), the father gets the joy of paying support and seeing his kids when the mother decides.
Thanks

mistoffolees

The first thing is to get a court order affirming the mediation. Until the court approves the settlement, it's worthless.

As for the rest, don't lose too much sleep over things beyond your control. She can file for custody any time she wishes, but she needs do demonstrate a reason. The only thing you have control over is making sure that she doesn't have a reason for the court to change custody. In general, if the kids are happy, healthy, and well-loved, the courts need a pretty strong reason to make a change. So put your energy into taking care of the kids rather than worrying about what the ex might or might not do.

Good luck.