Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 18, 2024, 06:45:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Important question about social services

Started by Kami, Jun 24, 2007, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kami

Is it possible for me to find out whether social services has investigated my children's situation in BM's home?  Do I have a legal right to know that?

There have been a few sudden, small improvements in my kids' health, grooming, and attire.  But also the alienation seems to have really escalated, and there is talk of the family moving out of their state (escaping social services jurisdiction??)  This move would be an extreme measure for them, for many reasons.  But over the years BM has changed pediatricians several times, and finally stopped taking the kids for well child check ups 4 years ago...I think because the doctors were finally getting wise to the kids malnutrition issues.

A few years ago I talked briefly with the teachers about my kids severe underweight problem.  As polite as I was...they were not happy to talk to me, and one said "I can't report these kids!"  Because the kids have gotten even thinner since that time, I'm wondering if someone at the school did finally file a report with social services.  And, of course, BM would assume the report came from me!!

Anyway, does the agency have to tell me if they have investigated the situation?

Thanks for any help!!

Jade

>Is it possible for me to find out whether social services has
>investigated my children's situation in BM's home?  Do I have
>a legal right to know that?
>
>There have been a few sudden, small improvements in my kids'
>health, grooming, and attire.  But also the alienation seems
>to have really escalated, and there is talk of the family
>moving out of their state (escaping social services
>jurisdiction??)  This move would be an extreme measure for
>them, for many reasons.  But over the years BM has changed
>pediatricians several times, and finally stopped taking the
>kids for well child check ups 4 years ago...I think because
>the doctors were finally getting wise to the kids malnutrition
>issues.
>
>A few years ago I talked briefly with the teachers about my
>kids severe underweight problem.  As polite as I was...they
>were not happy to talk to me, and one said "I can't report
>these kids!"  Because the kids have gotten even thinner since
>that time, I'm wondering if someone at the school did finally
>file a report with social services.  And, of course, BM would
>assume the report came from me!!
>
>Anyway, does the agency have to tell me if they have
>investigated the situation?
>
>Thanks for any help!!

With what you have posted, I would contact an attorney and see about filing for custody.  Tell the attorney that you suspect that the mother has been investigated.

Do you keep a log of what you have been told by the teachers.  And if you can get them to testify for you, that would help your case tremendously.

When you do have them, document and take pictures of any signs of malnutrition or neglect.  And if you have joint legal custody, you can take them to the doctor yourself.  

Kami

Thanks for your reply!

I think I did document my conversations with the teachers, but they were not telling ME about the kids...I was telling THEM.  And they didn't like it.  I very politely expressed my concerns and said that I had the medical records and growth charts that show ongoing, severe malnutrition.  The one teacher's response was "Well, they eat their snack really well!!"  When she said she could not report to social services, I said I wasn't asking her to, but just to keep an eye on the kids.  

I highly doubt that any teachers in that very mother biased State would testify for me.

I do document and take photos when the kids are with me.  I don't have joint legal, and any time I take the kids to the Dr., BM has a FIT!!