Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 16, 2024, 05:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting article

Started by Kent, Dec 19, 2007, 06:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Dutch research under 800 intact families

Most fathers have a private conversation with their son or daughter living in their home at least twice per week. One in six children says they never talk one-on-one with their father. 2 percent of fathers say they never have a personal conversation with their child.

This is reported in the Christmas Edition of the KRO Magazine that initiated the research with 800 fathers and children.
The fathers told the researchers that their children talk to them about anything, but that sexuality and emotions are subjects they rather discuss with their mother. The children however said that the topic of conversation generally doesn't surpass school performance and practical issues.

According to psychiatrist Bram Bakker, involved in the educational tv-show "Because I say so", the research shows that fathers are very involved in the well-being of their children. It seems logic that 79% of fathers is proud of being a father, but that 71% of the children says to be proud of their father is marked as "very encouraging". Fathers as well as children feel that fathers are essential and indispensable to raise children.

Crockpot

I grew up in an intact, close family.  I'm now a SM of two girls.  Because they have specific time dedicated to see their dad, they spend more time interacting and communicating with him than I did with my dad, even though I saw him every day.  

Quality not quantity.

mistoffolees

>Dutch research under 800 intact families
>
>Most fathers have a private conversation with their son or
>daughter living in their home at least twice per week. One in
>six children says they never talk one-on-one with their
>father. 2 percent of fathers say they never have a personal
>conversation with their child.

Sounds like they're setting the bar pretty low. 'conversation twice per week' isn't much to be proud of, IMHO. And one in six kids in 'intact' families never talk to their father? Amazing.