Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Round 4 --- throw rocks at boys....Claire's

Started by FatherTime, Jan 14, 2004, 09:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatherTime

I took my daughter to Claire's today to buy my daughter some things.
I saw hats with the "Boys are Stupid....Throw rocks at them" slogan.

Can I get some help on this?

Customer Service - Claire's/Icing by Claire's
Phone:1-800-CLAIRES (1-800-252-4737)
E-mail:[email protected]

I'm writing an email tonight.

Thanks,

FatherTime

Here is a changed version of Brent's sample letter to Universal Studios:

I am writing in regards to some extremely offensive merchandise offered for sale by Claire's.

I'm referring specifically to the "Boys Are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them" hats that Claire's sells.

I would hope that Claire's will also have a sense of social conscience and opt do the right thing by pulling these hats from your stores. Selling these hats may be amusing to some, but the message they send is offensive to many, and insensitive (at best) to half the population.

My family does not condone violence towards anyone and I would never allow my daughter to wear a hat that suggested they assault another human, especially based on their gender. These shirts are a fine example of gender-based hatred and discrimination, and they are a discredit to Claire's' integrity as a responsible and ethical corporate citizen.

In addition, these hats are an insult to anyone who has ever spent money at Claire's. I was appalled that Claire's would offer this kind of merchandise, and  I will not patronize a corporation that promotes violence against children. Most people no longer find these kinds of messages to be "humorous" or acceptable, and they vote with their wallets and pocketbooks.

Rest assured I will never take my children to visit Claire's, or spend money in any Claire's store. In addition, I'll take every opportunity to explain to people I meet how Claire's promotes violence against children by the sale of these incredibly offensive and hateful products.

I'm sure you would agree that a hat promoting violence against girls would be in extremely poor taste, and would be boycotted by any number of groups, such a the National Organization for Women. A hat promoting violence against boys is no different, and I hope that you will act accordingly to prevent Claire's from helping to perpetuate violence against children of either gender.

I welcome your comments and look forward to hearing from you.

Brent

>spent money at Claire's. I was appalled that Claire's would
>offer this kind of merchandise, and neither I nor the 1300+
>people on my email list will

I'd take out the part about the email list, but otherwise I'd say go for it. I've already written them, and I'll call them tomorrow and start their day off right. :)

FatherTime

I thought you wanted a copyright.  :D

MKx2

1angrystepmom

Letter sent.... of course I changed it a bit to express, I am a mother of BOTH a son and daughters~

Amber

StPaulieGirl

Well, insomnia doesn't make for great emails, but here's the one I sent them:

Hi,

I'm not sure if you are aware that Claire's is selling hats with offensive messages such as "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them".    I have 4 children, plus a grandbaby, and my older girls have been patrons of Claire's for years.  My family does not condone violence towards anyone, especially based on gender.  I hope you will reconsider stocking this kind of merchandise.

Sincerely,

My cat is having a nervous breakdown, and for the last week he's been keeping me up all night.  Yawnnnnn....

Indigo Mom

I'm not sure about this one...but instead of bombing each store that chooses to sell these pathetic shirts, would the better business bureau be able to do something about the company that makes these shirts???

Maybe a bunch of complaints to the bbb about this company promoting violence?

Like I said, I don't know if this is an option...anyone know?

Rakkasan

Your paragraph four states [em]"I would never allow my daughter to wear a hat that suggested they assault another human being because of their gender...."[/em]

Please consider replacing it with this modifed version St.PaulieGirls line>
My family does not condone violence towards anyone and I would never allow my daughter to wear a hat that suggested they assault another human, especially based on their gender....

Kitty C.

That 'company' (David and Goliath) was confronted the first time and flat out refused to do anything about it, claiming this line was one of their best sellers.  Since they have taken such a defiant stand, we're going for their pocket and getting all their clients to quit selling them, thus cutting off their gravy train and forcing them to drop the line completely.  
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

joni

To whom it may concern,

I have been a customer of Claire's since I was in high school.  I got a 2nd ear piercing there and love your store for the novel items that you carry.  I have also turned my 6 year old stepdaughter onto your merchandise.

It's recently come to my attention that your stores are carrying the "Boys are stupid - throw rocks at them" merchandise.  With all of the violence in our schools these days, children having to go through metal detectors to keep them safe, dogs sniffing for bombs and drugs, why on earth, as a retailer to young girls, would you condone such violence?

Do you think it's OK for girls to throw rocks at boys?  Don't you think this line of merchandise encourages this violence?  I am horrified.  Would you carry merchandise that promotes neo-nazism or the Klu Klux Klan?  Not in a heartbeat.  The difference between these examples and the David & Goliath line is negligible.

As long as you continue to promote such violence, be advised that neither myself, my stepdaughter or anyone who can hear my voice will ever place foot in your stores again.

Do the right thing.  Pull the merchandise and as your penance, make your buying department contribute to an organization that works to eliminate violence against all of our children