Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:58:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I messed up! Need advice

Started by NeedHelpInMo, Jan 02, 2008, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeedHelpInMo

So I fell for my spouse's lies that we could work things out and that they would get the divorce papers dropped.  Well now it's day 29 of my 30 days to contest and it's too late for me to do anything.   I can not afford a lawyer, and she has one already.  

So does this mean that everything that was said in the papers will happen.  She'll get sole custody, that I admit to being an unfit parent?  

mistoffolees

You still have one day. Run, don't walk, to your courthouse and contest her filing. It would be better with an attorney, but the court clerk can provide you with the forms you need.

In general, nothing you agreed to is binding until signed by the court. But you need to move fast. And anything she asks for won't happen unless the court agrees that it will happen. If you contest it, you'll get a chance to present your side. If you don't contest it, her filing will go into effect (unless the judge decides for some reason not to give her everything she asks for - but unless you speak up, the judge has no reason to refuse).