Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 01:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How to overcome StayAtHome Mom issue for child custody

Started by confuseddad9, Mar 03, 2008, 08:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

confuseddad9

Thanks Ocean and KnightTryDa01

I feel very lost and your comments (and all others who have reponded previously) have helped a great deal.

Does anyone have any final input on main (first) issue I must face:

Should I allow relocation (150 miles within same state) to occur prior to filing, even though it means wife and son move into seperate residence from me?

This move (for my job) is vital for my work, enhances my ability to have flexible work schedule and visitation, and was agreed to upon birth of son to enable mom to stay at home but postponed by wife until announcement she and son would move in her mother. If I file where we currently all live together, this move will probably not occur.

Rule #1 under Articles: Emergency First Aid is do not move out of home.
Is this the same as doing that?

gemini3

I wouldn't think it's the same if you both move at the same time.  I don't know what legal ramifications it could have for you, and an attorney familiar with FL family law would be better qualified to answer.

It may be helpful to play the devils advocate and look at how her attorney may position such a move.

Another option, if you don't want to risk it, is to move together as a family, and then have her move into mothers house later.  Then she's the one moving from the marital home.  Is there any way for you to get that worked out?

confuseddad9

Hello again Gemini3  :-)

Attorneys from either location all seem to want it to occur in their county (go figure) then they get retainer; though none of them have stated any significant legal advantage one way or the other when I ask.

No way she'll move with me, says she needs her space. Not sure if I could live "temporarily" at her mothers...Interesting idea though.
Thanks.

confuseddad9

Question about attorney counsultations.

I have called several attorneys and they all want a fee for initial consultation. (200-300 $) I'm willing but it is tough to select one when the interview has a cost with it.

One attorney offered free consultation. Should I be concerned about the exception to the rule being at the "bottom of the food chain" so to speak?

Anyone know good attorney in 19th judicial circuit FL?

superdad01

In my experience it don't really matter. Some just promote the free consult upfront and just charge you for it after you hire them which is fine and dandy I suppose. I can understand them wanting an upfront fee but I don't feel I would ever oay an attorney just to feel them out. most of the fathers rights attorneys such as adam and fred will give you initial free phone consults (which I am found very helpfull) but when you go meet with them in person they will charge you.

One snake I found, I called and made an appointment and no mention of a consult fee was ever mentioned... So after the consult he was like My fee is $175 how do you you wanna pay for this... I'm like what? I said they never mentioned a fee.... Well then he said he would cut me a deal at $100 well I said I did not bring my checkbook and he was like well just mail me a check... I was like ok..... I don't think so.

DevotedStepmom

Why is it in 19th court????  Is that were you live now or will be living???

DevotedStepmom

confuseddad9

Moving to the 19th cir.court area.

Any feedback on Judges or Attorneys in that area?