Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 05:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chances of getting full coustody

Started by Fueledbyjava, May 06, 2008, 07:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davy

Your attorney should be able to easily answer all of these questions.

Some state bifurcate marriage disolution meaning they can deal with the issues separately...ie divorce/custody/visitation/CS etc.  

Attorney, the courts...the divorce industry are likely to assume mother custody NO MATTER WHAT..which means you get to provide room and board for all her boyfriends until the child turns 18.

Fueledbyjava

They asked for her to be sole benificiary of my life insurance policy! Can you believe that! The greed never ends. Of course my lawyer and I said no, so as of now all deals are off the table and we go to court, asking for full custody. I can't believe that even in death they want to get into my wallet! All I have wanted inthis thing was time with my child, and you can't place a monetary value on that.

ocean

This is normal...to have a policy with your daughter as beneficiary. If something happens to you, there would be no more child support. You could agree to a number and hold a separate policy for her until she reaches 18.

I agree with everyone else. DO NOT sign anything unless it is what you want. You should really look at the parenting plans on here. You need to include times/dates/vacations (look at school calendars)/birthdays. Think of everything now because it is VERY hard to change anything. If you are a detailed/spelled out plan then she can not change it according to her mood or if she does not like that you have a new girlfriend....Post what you think you might want and there are plenty of people here that will tweek it for you and then you can bring it to your lawyer. You can do a lot of the foot work yourself. Saves you money and time with your lawyer.
Good luck!

Kitty C.

If you have a long work history and have been faithfully contributing to Social Security, did you know that you are worth more alive than dead to her?  And that isn't even taking your life insurance into consideration!  

My son's father died almost 6 years ago, when DS was 13.  At the time, my CS was $250 a month, something that his dad and I mutually agreed on and was NOT ordered thru the court (long story).  So when he died, I was told that DS qualified for SS survivor benefits.  Every child under the age of 18 or still in school is entitled to these benefits if a parent dies.  Because DS's dad was only a few years from retirement (in his case, he had been contributing significantly to SS based on time, not income), DS's initial benefits were over $600 a month!  Imagine my surprise!  And over the next 5 years, that gradually increased to $750 until DS was no longer eligible, when he graduated from HS.

On top of that, that money must go to a 'conservator', usually the surviving custodial parent or whomever has guardianship.  They are required to report yearly to SS as to how the money is spent, but as long as you say you spent the money on the child, they take your word for it.

So whether it's your life insurance or not, you're worth more to her dead than alive.  It's gruesome, but it's a fact for almost ALL non-custodial parents.  So if they want to argue for your life ins., tell the greedy PBFH that Social Security basically takes over for CS, leaving life ins. for what it's truely meant to cover:  burial expenses and any unpaid debt left by the deceased that has to be satisfied.  In this day and age, good luck if there's anything left after that........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Fueledbyjava

Yeah, it makes me wonder what her plans are for me! I told her last night that I am dissapointed in her continued adulterous conduct and that I think i is extemely disrespectful that while she is still living with me that she continues to behave this way. She said to get with my lawyer and get the agreement done, I told her that that's not my problem and I'll talk to my lawyer as needed. My concern is that she is obviously making bad decisions with her own life, I'm concerned about her decision making abilities with respect to care for our daughter. Thelife insurance thing really isn't an issue as far as our daughter being beneficiary. I just think it is such an intangible asset as I have to be dead! It just shows her shallowness and what she really cares about. Sick.